Wordcraft Community Home Page
People you may know - French

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/1921087744

March 27, 2007, 10:31
wordcrafter
People you may know - French
Last week we talked about people you know. This week we'll look at terms that French has given us to name various sorts of people you might know.

chevalier d'industrie – one who lives by his wits, specially by swindling [lit. "knight of industry"]

Our second quote is of a chevalier d'industrie who worked on a grand scale: he cornered the market in dice.
March 28, 2007, 07:39
wordcrafter
femme fatale1. a seductive woman who lures men into dangerous or compromising situations 2. an alluring, mysterious woman of charm and mystery
[French: woman + fatal, deadly]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
March 28, 2007, 09:57
Wally
From Wikipedia --

An éminence grise (French for "grey eminence") is a powerful advisor or decision-maker who operates secretly or unofficially. This phrase originally referred to François Leclerc du Tremblay the right-hand man of Cardinal Richelieu the Red Eminence. Leclerc was a Capuchin friar who wore grey robes. The phrase "His Eminence" is used to describe a Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church, although Leclerc du Tremblay never achieved that rank.
March 28, 2007, 12:48
Richard English
quote:
femme fatale – 1. a seductive woman who lures men into dangerous or compromising situations 2. an alluring, mysterious woman of charm and mystery
There are some other kinds of women?

Richard English
March 28, 2007, 13:30
shufitz
quote: Leclerc was a Capuchin friar who wore grey robes.

I thought cappuccino was so named because it resembled the color of the Capuchins' robes. That in turn lead me to believe that their robes were light brown. Was Leclerc exceptional, or was I misled by cappuccino?
March 28, 2007, 21:29
Kalleh
I read one just today, though I won't mention whom this phrase was describing because I like her. However, they called a woman whom we all know and love (as my mother would say) a "ditsy poseur."
March 29, 2007, 01:36
Myth Jellies
Let us not forget the ever popular ingenue.

[French, feminine of ingénu, guileless, from Latin ingenuus, ingenuous]

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
March 29, 2007, 06:21
wordcrafter
enfant terrible – one who is strikingly, shockingly unconventional (often, one who embarasses or compromises his associates by being so; see last two quotes)
[French, "terrible child"]
March 30, 2007, 07:40
wordcrafter
Today's term, though very uncommon, would seem very useful. It's also a striking image, literally meaning 'rabid sheep'.

mouton enragé – a normally calm person who has suddenly become enraged or violent
March 31, 2007, 09:09
wordcrafter
bon vivant – a person indulging in a sociable and luxurious lifestyle, especially one who enjoys superb food and drink
[French; literally,'good liver']
March 31, 2007, 09:51
jerry thomas
The idea of hedonism inspires me to dredge this up from my secret storehouse of assorted recreational paraphrases ...

"And the People asked the Prophet, 'How would it be for you to speak to us about Hedonism?'

And the Prophet, smiling, said, 'It would be a pleasure.'"
April 01, 2007, 07:46
wordcrafter
éminence grisé1. an adviser or decision-maker (often secret) with great power beyond any official status; one who wields real though not titular control; a "power behind the throne" 2. a respected elder statesman

[French for 'gray (shadowy) power'. Originally applied to Père Joseph (1577-1638), confidential agent of Cardinal Richelieu, who wore a grey cloak over his monk habit (contrast the red robes of the Cardinal, éminence rouge). I suspect that the "elder statesman" sense evolved from a misunderstanding of what was meant by 'gray'.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
April 02, 2007, 06:55
wordcrafter
idiot savant – a mentally handicapped person who displays brilliance in a specific area, especially one involving memory
[French, 'knowledgeable idiot']

So say the dictionaries. An example would be a person who, though profoundly retarded, can play any piece on the piano upon hearing it once. But in practice the term is extended to less extreme cases: a normal (not idiotic) person with a notable (though not necessarily mind-boggling) talent in one area. See last quote.