Wordcraft Community Home Page
Government and Rule

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/2281053251

February 21, 2005, 22:01
wordcrafter
Government and Rule
We'll look this week at some words concerning governmental rule, power, and functions – or malfunctions.

thalassocracy – maritime supremacy; command of the seas (naval power or commercial power) (thalassocrat)
February 23, 2005, 13:36
wordcrafter
malversation – corruption by one in public office or a position of trust.
[French, from Latin male badly + versari behave]

Though the term applies to such corruption in any form (Emerson and E. Burke quotes below), it is typically used for corrupt taking of funds (quote 3); indeed, indeed Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations (quote 5) seems to limit it to that meaning.
February 23, 2005, 17:13
Robert Arvanitis
Is "vers" perhaps closer to the idea of turning, than behaving? Thus a bad turn.

Cf. adverse, adversary, animadversion, averse, verse, version...

RJA
February 24, 2005, 06:35
wordcrafter
The above etymology comes from Compact OED. Nonetheless, Robert, I would agree with you: my own reaction is that you are right and COED is mistaken. But I'm no Latinist. Can others chime in?
February 24, 2005, 06:36
wordcrafter
capitation – a tax levied on the basis of a fixed amount per person; also, a payment or fee of a fixed amount per person
Note: can be either a charge to a person, or a payment made to or for him.
February 25, 2005, 08:46
wordcrafter
immobilism – extreme political resistance to change (whether due to conservative philosophy, self-interest, tactical delay, gridlock, or dithering)
kleptocracy – a government of widespread greed and corruption ['government of thieves']

The few on-line dictionaries defining immobilism speak of being 'conservative' or 'reactionary'. But I suggest, per the usage examples, as below, that it apples to other forms of change-resistance.
February 26, 2005, 22:43
wordcrafter
The s in today's word is pronounced zh as in azure or Zsa Zsa; it would be wrong to pronounce the ending like 'prison'. The word has two entirely different senses.

misprision – neglect or malperformance in office (not implying corruption)
also, failure to report treason or felony; also, sedition
[from mes- wrongly; + prendre to take, seize]misprision [noun form of misprize] – misinterpretation, esp. undervaluing; also, contempt, scorn
[concept of mis- wrongly + prize]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
February 27, 2005, 19:11
wordcrafter
Today's word is extraordinarily rare, but how can I pass up the rare opportunity to use a word beginning with pt? Our quote comes from a satire that is well worth reading in full, at the link.

ptochocracy – government by the poor
[The counterpart word is much more common: plutocracy - government by the wealthy class.]