Wordcraft Community Home Page
There's a name that body-thing?!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/25110209

March 12, 2009, 11:41
wordcrafter
There's a name that body-thing?!
Last week's theme of "Unusual names for things" ended with a word composed of two body parts, "armseye". That leads naturally into a theme of "Unusual names for body things". These may not be words you can make use of, but I hope and trust they'll be words you can enjoy.

mandible – the lower jawbone, in humans, etc.
[from Latin mandere to chew. The upper jawbone, which is immobile, is called the maxilla (from Latin diminutive mala "jaw, cheekbone).]For humans the mandible is the lower jaw only. But a bird's mandible means either half of the beak, lower or upper. In ants, beetles, etc., the mandibles are the two crushers that look like horns or pincers, in front of the mouth. These can be incredible organs, snapping shut at up to 145 mph – the fastest self-propelled speed in the animal kingdom, by far. Even more remarkably they accelerate up to that speed almost instantaneously. See this article for fantastic photos and video-links.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
March 12, 2009, 18:57
Kalleh
Well, unfortunately I couldn't get the video to work. Darn! The download seemed to be successful, but it kept asking me to do it again.
March 13, 2009, 11:20
wordcrafter
cerumen (accent on 2nd syllable) – earwax

From Latin cera wax. To help remember this word, think of the word "sincere". It's been claimed that "sincere" comes from Latin sine cera "without wax", on the notion that a "sincere" promise was one that did not need to be made under seal, and could be trusted "without [sealing] wax". As it happens, that etymology for "sincere" is completely false. Nonetheless it may help you remember that "wax" is cera in Latin, so that when you think of "earwax" you'll be led towered the sound of "cerumen".ewwwwwwwwww! too much information!
March 14, 2009, 09:57
wordcrafter
From an article titled Play Tricks on Your Body: Use Simple Movements to Get Rid of Aches and Pains:vomer – the small thin bone separating the left and right nasal cavities
[from Latin for "ploughshare", because of the shape]

More generally,
septum (plural septa) – a partition separating two chambers of the body, such as that between the nostrils or the chambers of the heart
March 14, 2009, 21:37
Kalleh
So how is the septum different from the vomer? I've only heard it called the former.
March 15, 2009, 09:20
wordcrafter
Yesterday's quote spoke about "pushing on the spot between the eyebrows with the pointer finger". You of course wonder if that spot has a name. Far be it from me to leave your wonderings unsatisfied.

glabella – the smooth area between the eyebrows just above the nose
[from Latin meaning "little smooth thing"]

In today's quote, Mencken is describing the class envy of alcohol consumption. The rural "yokel" drinks alone in his barn "in solitary swinishness", consuming rotgut whiskey, "crude and unpalatable stimulants, incompetently made". As drinks he resents "the hated city man", who partakes of "varieties that have a more delicate and romantic smack, and are ingested in gay society to the music of harps".
March 15, 2009, 13:14
neveu
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
So how is the septum different from the vomer? I've only heard it called the former.

I think the partition including soft tissue is the septum; one of the bones composing it is the vomer (which really does look like a plowshare). I think the upper part of the palatine bones also form part of the septum, if memory serves.
March 15, 2009, 13:47
<Proofreader>
I was caught by this revenoo fella
Hawkin' hooch that I made in my cella.
So I shot twixt his eyes
And to my great surprise,
He survived my shot through his glabella.
March 18, 2009, 09:20
wordcrafter
We noted that a septum is tissue that serves as a partition separating two chambers of the body. What is a tissue that connects tissues, to hold one in place?

frenulum; frenum – a membrane that supports or restricts the movement of a body part; a frenulum is simply a small frenum.
Examples: 1) the one connecting the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth; 2) the one connecting the upper lip to the gum, at a spot above and between the upper incisors
[Latin frenum bridle, from frendere to grind]

I'm giving an innocent usage-example and a moderately sexual one (ellipses omitted). But the vast majority of non-technical usage-examples are much more hardcore. They concern a frenulum of the male anatomy (or the equivalent female part) which I'll delicately leave unspecified, referring you to Glossary of the Penis. (Who knew that all those parts have names too?!)
March 19, 2009, 06:41
wordcrafter
canthus – either of the corners of the eye, where the upper and lower eyelids meet
[Greek kanthos corner of the eye; akin to cant – slanted; tilting]
March 19, 2009, 15:24
Robert Arvanitis
...which is why we refer to the epicanthic fold.

RJA
March 20, 2009, 06:17
wordcrafter
Think of your outer ear, the part outside your skull.

auricle – the lower part of the outer ear; the earlobe
pinna – the upper part of the outer ear, stiff with cartilage; the "earshell" (plural pinnae)*

Not exactly everyday terms. But OED has a delicious quote as the earliest use of the "earlobe" word. The author seems to be speaking of fashions, not of anthropology.
*Note: dictionary-definitions are inconsistent. Some (most?) say one or both terms mean the entire outer ear (upper and lower parts); some add that they used to mean the separate parts; some mention upper and lower but don't say "above or below what".