Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spelling Bee! Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
US Spelling Bee winner got it with guetapens; 3rd placer missed schvonoma; earlier in week a contender (um a 6-y.o.) bested by ingluvies-- she knew the word, just forgot how to spell it (!). Bluffing game fans take note.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
And the winner won after practicing for hours a day using 30,000 flash cards made by her father. It was a family obsession.

I've never heard any of those words.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Isn't it unfair to ask contestants to spell obsucre FRENCH words in an American contest?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they shoulda used good old American words like pizza and soy jizzum and glaznost. Damn that Guillaume le Bâtard!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Those are loan words, not obscure words not even in American-Wnglish dics.

posted Hide Post
Them ain't loan words - we stole 'em fair an' square!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Wnglish? I'm not getting into that spelling bee.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Did you see the cute little 6-year-old in the spelling bee? She lost, but she was the youngest ever!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I did. I'm voting for her for president in 2032. She'll certainly be smart enough!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I'm voting for her for president in 2032. She'll certainly be smart enough!

At least better than Dan Quayle.

posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced that the ability to memorize the spellings of English words is connected with intelligence.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
I'm not convinced that the ability to memorize the spellings of English words is connected with intelligence.
OK, maybe only a very particular type of intelligence. Maybe an "idiot savant" or photographic memory thing. Still, impressive.

WM

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Goofy, I think it's much more than that. They learn the different etymologies and spelling intricacies of each. I do think it's related to intelligence, at least at those top levels.

posted Hide Post
I don't see how learning the spelling intricacies of different etymologies is nothing more than memorization.

Apparently some good writers were bad spellers.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think you may have cross-threaded an over-negation in there goofy, m'boy. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I think you may have cross-threaded an over-negation in there goofy, m'boy. Smile

OMG you're right!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think there is more to understanding etymologies and their spelling intricacies than memorization, but if you don't, so be it. I am surprised, though, since you have studied linguistics and language.

I suppose some would say all learning is memorization, though not me. Memorization is part of learning of course, but one needs to think critically for making decisions. No nurse would make it with just memorization. I don't think a spelling bee contestant would, either.

posted Hide Post
In terms of spelling bees and etymologies, what is required other than to memorize the spelling patterns of various etymologies? So for instance if the word has a Greek etymology, you know it is spelled this way, and if the etymology is Latin, you know it is spelled that way?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
More spelling:

The Guardian headline 7-27:
BELLS PEEL ACROSS BRITAIN AS GAMES GET UNDERWAY

I just hate when that happens. Why can't the Brits keep them in belfries where they belong?p.s. that was a Reuters feed error to Google News, I guess.. corrected already!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post