Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eponyms from the Ancient Greeks

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/2581000773

September 07, 2006, 08:45
wordcrafter
Eponyms from the Ancient Greeks
Let's return to a favorite theme: eponyms, or words from the names of real or fictional characters. A few years ago we've had themes of eponyms from Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from the Muses. This week we look at more eponyms from the ancient Greeks.

apollo – a young man of great physical beauty
September 08, 2006, 05:09
wordcrafter
From the tale of Daedalus and Icarus:

Icarian – soaring too high for safety; applying to ambitious or presumptuous acts which end in failure or ruin daedal – of ingenious design; or skillfully made, artistic
September 08, 2006, 05:44
Robert Arvanitis
Which brings to mind that wonderful word, logodaedaly.

RJA
September 08, 2006, 21:32
wordcrafter
solon – a wise lawgiver, or a legislator [often sarcastic]
[from Solon, an early lawgiver of Athens]
September 09, 2006, 06:37
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
From the tale of Daedalus and Icarus:

I'm aquainted with one of the designers/builders of the human-powered aircraft that flew from Crete to Santorini back in the 1980s, attempting to recreate/reify the ancient myth.. Ironically, a wing collapsed just as it reached the shoreline, giving the pilot a dousing, so, despite the incredible success of the flight (setting the world record for human-powered flight distance and endurance) it was both daedal and icarian! The name of the bird was, of course, Icarus.
September 09, 2006, 16:15
wordcrafter
pyrrhonism – extreme skepticism; universal doubt
[Pyrrho, founder of a school of skeptics in Greece, about 300 B.C.]

I'm fond of the first quote here.
September 10, 2006, 09:14
wordcrafter
Today's two words are often used together, and often to the denigration of the latter. I'll give a variety of quotes.

Apollonian1. characterized by clarity, harmony, and restraint 2. serenely high-minded; noble

Dionysian – of an ecstatic, orgiastic, or irrational nature; frenzied or undisciplined
[from Dionysos, god of wine and revelry]Bonus word:
fatuous
– silly and pointless (noun: fatuity)
September 11, 2006, 07:28
wordcrafter
Zoilus; Zoilist – a carping, malignant critic [for origin, see quote]Bonus Word:
flyter
obs. one who scolds; a scold.