Wordcraft Community Home Page
Archaic Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/2601002925

March 19, 2008, 20:33
wordcrafter
Archaic Words
We follow our themes of “fossil words” with a theme of archaic words. Perhaps you’ll recall them from reading Shakespeare. Since we missed yesterday due to computer glitch, we’ll make it up with an extra word today.

lief – willingly; readily [akin to love]arrant – utter; complete
[originated as a variant off errant, and sometimes is used where "errant" is intended. Complicating this, errant had two meanings, from two different roots: errant1. straying from the accepted course or standards (akin to err and error) 2. travelling in search of adventure (akin to iter "journey, way”)]

The word is still commonly seen in one phrase, “arrrant nonsense” – so it fits last week’s theme too. Here’s another example:
March 20, 2008, 05:30
Robert Arvanitis
The old poem "The Three Ravens" ends:

"God send every gentleman
Such haukes, such hounds, and such a leman"

Leman = liefman = beloved one.

RJA
March 20, 2008, 20:56
wordcrafter
eftsoons – soon afterward; presently
March 21, 2008, 19:39
wordcrafter
thorp; thorpe – a village or hamlet
You’ll see this as a suffix in place names or surnames: -thorp; -thrup. (The German equivalent is dorf. As in the city of Düsseldorf, on the Düssel river?)Bonus word:
betide
– to happen to (transitive); to take place; to befall (intransitive)
March 22, 2008, 18:50
wordcrafter
whoreson – a low, scurvy fellow (also adj.)
[Origin: obvious.]

This luscious word is almost never used (see second quote as a very-rare exception), except as historical curiousity. Pity. The first quote is long because … well, because I like it!Bonus word:
rumbustious
– uncontrollably exuberant; unruly
March 23, 2008, 17:21
wordcrafter
Keep today’s word in mind when you look at tomorrow’s. They have the same dictionary definition, but the quotes suggest to me slightly different meanings.

hight – named; called
[from Old English “to summon”. Related to behest, incite and kinetic.] The names match the duties. Chamberlino minds the bed-chamber; Tapstero tends the beer-tap (and isn’t one of those barmen who give you a pint that’s mostly foam on the top); and Ostlero is the ostler, or horse-tender.

Bonus archaic words:
hostler; ostler
– one who tends horses, especially at an inn
[related to host, hotel, hospital and hospitality]
palfrey – a docile horse ridden especially by women
March 24, 2008, 17:17
wordcrafter
clepe – to call; to name [yclept is the past participle]

This is the same definition as hight, but based on the usages, my sense is that hight means to call by name (“Call me Ishmael”), and clepe means “call” as in “they call him a fool”.

Hamlet notes that other nations think ill of his countrymen's fondness for strong drink:
March 30, 2008, 00:24
Timbo
eftsoons. Exquisite. I think I'll be using that one for some time, now. Big Grin