Wordcraft Community Home Page
Wintry words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/2811003711

December 22, 2004, 21:51
wordcrafter
Wintry words
On December 21 – just as winter was icumen in -- we ended our last theme with the counterpart of the word 'hiberate''. What better time to start a theme of winter-words?

hibernal – characteristic of or relating to winter
December 23, 2004, 01:14
Caterwauller
The perfect word for today! The snow, freezing rain, etc, are so bad that even the public library is closed. Sigh. What will all the people do without their library?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
December 24, 2004, 06:58
jheem
I've always preferred hiemal to hibernal, but anyway you dice it up, I love winter. The gray, brooding sky, with its even, unharsh lighting. Latin hiems 'winter' is related to Greek khimaira 'a young she-goat; a fire-breathing monster' and Sanskrit hima 'snow' (as in Himalaya); all from PIE *ghei- 'winter'.
December 24, 2004, 07:55
arnie
quote:
I love winter.
And this from someone living in California! Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 24, 2004, 08:01
Caterwauller
Right after I'd posted my previous comment yesterday morning, the power went out in my neighborhood. It was still out at 5:00 pm when we finally left town (packing clothes with flashlights and wrapping presents by the same).

I am now 3 1/2 hours away, and don't know if we have power yet or not. We left our faucets all dripping slowly in hopes that the pipes won't freeze.

I don't like winter much, at the moment.

~Dalai Lama
December 24, 2004, 08:42
jheem
And this from someone living in California!

I admit that I like California winters most of all, but I have lived in other places: e.g., Denio, NV, and Bonn, Germany. When I moved to Bonn, I did so during the worst winter they had experienced in 40 years (1985). I could remember the looks I got from telling folks that I had moved from the California, but I did love the snow in both Nevada and Germany. I do remember the arrival of spring in Bonn, though. Suddenly, I understood what all that European poetry about spring meant. I have experienced 50 degrees Celsius as well as -25, and must say that I enjoyed the latter better.

As a child, growing up on a ranch, the power often went out during the winter, and sometimes stayed off for three or four days at a time. We were just prepared. We had gasoline generators, a wood burning fireplace, a propane stove, and kerosene lamps. Of course, I when I finally got computer equipment I started to not enjoy the blackouts as much.
December 24, 2004, 08:42
Richard English
Quote "...We left our faucets all dripping slowly in hopes that the pipes won't freeze..."

Not a good move! Even if this ploy prevents the supply pipes from freezing (unlikely), it will make quite sure that the waste pipes (normally empty), will freeze since your dripping faucet will ensure that there is now water there to freeze!

Best bet, turn off your water and leave your heating on very low.

Richard English
December 24, 2004, 08:44
Richard English
Quote "...Suddenly, I understood what all that European poetry about spring meant..."

I can think of no nicer place to be than in England in springtime.

Richard English
December 24, 2004, 12:40
jerry thomas
Oh! To be in England ...
December 24, 2004, 22:19
wordcrafter
boreal – of the north; of or like the north wind
[Boreas, god of the North Wind in Greek mythology] Bonus word:
ceviche
– a Peruvian dish of raw fish marinated in lemon juice with onions, chilis and seasonings, served especially as an appetizer
December 25, 2004, 18:51
Caterwauller
been
quote:
Best bet, turn off your water and leave your heating on very low.

but there is no heat - that's the point

~Dalai Lama
December 25, 2004, 21:13
wordcrafter
algid – cold; chilly [much of its usage is metaphoric]
It may be that this pertains not so much to the environmentbeing cold as to a person's feeling of cold. Thus, the noun forms are both medical terms:
. . . .algidity – chilliness; coldness; esp. coldness and collapse
. . . .algor – a sensation of coldness; the shivering fit in feverBonus word:
marmoreal, marmorean
– of or suggesting of marble
(The term can emphasize smoothness, whiteness, hardness or coldness.)
December 26, 2004, 20:38
wordcrafter
frore(archaic) extremely cold; frosty.
[Mid. Eng., past part. of fresen, to freeze]rime – [adj: rimy] a coating of ice (or a like coating of something else: "a rime of fat globules in our mouths and stomachs" -- James Fallows)