Wordcraft Community Home Page
Toponyms

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/3011052304

November 11, 2006, 19:50
wordcrafter
Toponyms
This week we'll present toponyms: words from place names. We start with one that would also fit last week's 'military' theme.

zabernism – the misuse of military power or authority; bullying, aggression

From the town of Zabern (French Saverne) in Alsace, where ugly incidents of Prussian militarism occurred in late 1913. A more full account of these incidents and etymology will be posted on the board.
November 12, 2006, 13:18
Kalleh
I wondered if it were related to saber, but I guess not. Here is what the online Random House Dictionary says about the etymology of saber: "[Origin: 1670–80; < F sabre, sable < G Sabel (now Säbel), earlier sewel, schebel < Pol szabla; cf. Czech šavle, Serbo-Croatian sȁblja, Russ sáblya sword, saber, perh. all ult. < Hungarian szablya, though derivation and transmission uncert.]"
November 12, 2006, 19:12
wordcrafter
You would not expect that today's two toponyms, Trojan horse and troy ounce, refer to two different cities.

Trojan horse – someone or something intended to defeat or subvert from within usually by deceptive means [also used in computerese]
[from the conquest of the city of Troy, as told in the Iliad]troy – a system of weights, used mainly for precious metals and gems, with a pound of 12 ounce
[such a system was used at the fair of Troyes, France]
November 13, 2006, 19:15
wordcrafter
Sodom – an place noted for extreme vice and corruption
[from Sodom and Gomorrah, the two wicked cities of the plain in Gen. xviii-xix. The same place is the source of the familiar word sodomy.]
November 13, 2006, 19:28
neveu
quote:
All of this controverts the notion that blue-state California is some Sodom on the Pacific

Indeed. Twentieth century American Christian fundamentalism was born in Los Angeles.
November 15, 2006, 07:41
wordcrafter
Many toponyms are names of cloth or clothing. We have previously mentioned several examples: taffeta, tuxedo, denim and jeans. Here are two more.

jodhpurs – (plural noun; picture here) trousers for horse riding, close-fitting below the knee and with reinforced patches inside the leg.
[after the Indian city (state?) of Jodhpur]panama hat – (picture here) a man’s wide-brimmed hat of straw-like material
[after the country of Panama. This is a misnomer, for it was originally made in Ecuador, but it was distributed north from Panama City.]

Sing it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
November 16, 2006, 09:52
wordcrafter
With Iraq in the news, let's take a toponym from that country.

baldachin – a ceremonial canopy over an altar, throne, or doorway.
[originally denoting a rich brocade from Baghdad: from Italian Baldacco ‘Baghdad’.]
November 18, 2006, 08:26
missann
Re: Sodom and Gomorrah.

I know what Sodomy is but does anyone know what Gamorrahmy is? Or shouldn't I ask? When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
November 21, 2006, 18:06
wordnerd
missann, I checked just for grins. To my surprise, there is indeed such a word. OED would have you think it is rare and obsolete: its last example is 1613. But here's something a bit more recent:
November 22, 2006, 03:17
arnie
quote:
the exemplar of baby-boom licentiousness and moral relativism—was brought low by a thong-flashing Gomorrean hussy ...

That's a lovely couple of phrases!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 22, 2006, 09:01
Seanahan
Sodom has come to be associated with men, so it is logical that Gomorrah would be associated with women. It is possible the Time reporter created a "neologism", that is, "made up" Gomorrean, although the word had existed in the past.
November 22, 2006, 18:18
wordnerd
quote:
Sodom has come to be associated with men, so it is logical that Gomorrah would be associated with women.
Very interesting point, Sean. I found this (with a slightly variant spelling):
November 30, 2006, 07:04
pearce
[QUOTE]Originally posted by missann:
I know what Sodomy is but …QUOTE]

I am not sure that Neveu's Twentieth century American Christian fundamentalists would approve. Fortunately, most of us are without such prejudice. Big Grin
November 30, 2006, 12:36
missann
I was only joking when I asked the qustion. I didn't think there was such a word. However, there is a word for everything.