Wordcraft Community Home Page
Thanksgiving

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/3241085372

November 23, 2005, 09:48
wordcrafter
Thanksgiving
This week, as those in the U.S. celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving, we will focus on words of gratitude and blessing. It may be a short week, for the sad fact is that there seem to be very few such words beyond the obvious and familiar ones like 'gratitude'.

Indeed even our first term-of-thanks is usually used ironically, though OED gives only the positive sense. Our quotes amusingly illustrate the irony.

non nobis – 1. interjection, expressing gratitude or thanksgiving (also 'non nobis, Domine'). from the next meaning 2. a hymn of that title, used in 'popular entertainment. (Each meaning often ironic.)

The hymn takes the opening words of Psalm 115:1, saying "The glory of the deed is not ours, but God's". The hymn is, I understand, a breath-takingly beautiful round in four-part a cappella harmony, written by Handel but usually attributed to William Byrd (1543 – 1623).

In Shakespeare's Henry V the hymn celebrates the victory at Agincourt. "Do we all holy rites: Let there be sung ‘Non Nobis' and ‘Te Deum'." (This is an anachronism in that, at that time, the hymn had not yet been written.) A modern version of that play converts the hymn to a very different meaning.Below are three other ironic uses. In the first two the hymn has become almost a drinking song at the end of a banquet. In the last, the speaker saying, "Not me" to mean "Not my fault," rather than to attribute glory to God. They are so much fun that I quote at length.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
November 24, 2005, 22:34
Kalleh
Nice theme, and Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans!
November 25, 2005, 10:17
wordcrafter
beatitude – 1. supreme blessedness or happiness 2. Heaven (in the sense of a place)
(also, any of the "blessed are" declarations in the Sermon on the Mount)

The heaven definition, though not in OED, seems to me supported by usage, such as that below. The first will help you remember the word.
November 26, 2005, 14:05
wordcrafter
Today's word is an obscure one. I include it as exemplifying how far one must reach to find terms of gratitude. It is also, of course, an eponym from Minerva, goddess of wisdom.

minerval – a gift given in gratitude by a pupil to a teacher; also a fee paid to a schoolteacher [Wordcrafter: presumably one which is called, with genteel tact, a 'gift'.]
November 27, 2005, 11:28
wordcrafter
benison – a blessing

Here are two very different example of a father withholding his benison from his child.
December 02, 2005, 21:59
wordcrafter
gramercy (interj.; obsolete) - used to express 1. thankfulness 2. surprise (as in 'mercy me!"). Various spellings.
[Old French grant = grand or great, + merci ‘reward for merit’. So the phrase meant ‘may God reward you greatly’. The accent is on the second syllable; contrast GRAMercy Park in New York City.]hosanna; hosannah (interj.) - used to express praise or adoration to God
[Hebrew for "Save us!"]