Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eating and Drinking

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/3491069112

June 21, 2005, 22:25
wordcrafter
Eating and Drinking
Odgen Nash had his priorities in order, as he explained in opening his poem The Clean Platter.This week, my friends, I'm in the mood
To serve a feast of words of food.

comestibleadj. edible; suitable to be eaten. noun; usu. plural: something that can be eaten as food
June 23, 2005, 08:39
wordcrafter
Barmecide feast – illusory benefits held out to tantalize and torment, or to manipulate, the victim
barmecide – one who so tantalizes. Think of it as a "cock-tease", but not limited to sex.
[Note to readers: Do you agree that "illusory benefits" wouldn't be an accurate definition?]

From the Arabian Nights tale of a rich Barmecide who torments a beggar by feigning to banquet with him. He mimes eating, "ordering a variety of dishes and discussing the merits of each one" – but his servants are bringing only empty platters.¹

My example is my own first experience with this word, in college, reading Aristophanes' comedy Lysistrata. In a famous scene, a young wife torments her horny husband. She seems cooperative, indeed seductive – but each time she divests an item of clothing, she suddenly finds a need to depart to get another prop (a pillow, a blanket, oils, etc.), driving him to distraction. He mutters a comment that refers to local customs. How should a translator render it, to preserve the humor?

The translation I read (Rogers?) says, as I recall, "This is truly a Barmecide feast."
Other translations put it more bluntly. "What a lovefeast! Only the table gets laid!"

¹You'll be glad to know that the story ends happily. The beggar retaliates in kind by feigning that the wine has gone into his head. He strikes Barmecide, then apologizes and blames it on the (illusory) wine. At this the Barmecide laughs, "You have had the good grace to fall in with my humor. Now you shall be rewarded." As so it is.
June 23, 2005, 21:55
wordcrafter
borborygmi – intestinal rumbling caused by moving gas
[singular borborygmus; adj. borborygmic]Bonus words:
abomasum
– the fourth division of the stomach in ruminant animals (cows, sheep, and deer, which chew the cud), in which digestion takes place. Your life would be incomplete if I did not inform you that the prior three portions are the rumen, the reticulum, and the omasum (also known as manyplies or psalterium). Fascinating, huh?
June 25, 2005, 22:05
wordcrafter
Our recent word barmicide feast concerned tantalizing and tempting. Let's continue in that vein.

amuse-bouche (ah-mewz-BOOSH) or amuse-gueule - a "palate teaser": a bite of food served before a meal to whet the palate; more whimsical than hors d'oeuvres, and smaller than appetizers, often bite-sized. Typically complimentary; served as a "token of appreciation" to the customer.
[literally, "mouth amusement" or "gullet amusement". The term was coined in 1946, says Dictionnaire Historique de la Langue Francais (1992 ed.)]
June 26, 2005, 22:09
wordcrafter
Continuing the subject of 'small portions':

degustation – a comparative tasting, in small portions, of a variety of similar foods or drinks; also figurativeIn my view, dictionaries err on this word. When OED says, "The action of degusting or tasting," (and AHD says, "1. The act or function of tasting; 2. The sense of taste,") they may perhaps be technically accurate, but they miss the point. For example, suppose that while dining in a fancy restaurant, my wife praises her entrée and offers me a taste. My tasting would be a 'degustation' under the OED and AHD definitions, but I wouldn't think it would properly be called a "degustation" in the usual sense of the word: it is not a comparative tasting, sampling several variations on a theme. See quotations above.

Bonus word:
degust
– to taste, esp. to do so attentively, so as to savor
June 27, 2005, 21:45
wordcrafter
May I occasionally offer you words that are completely useless, but fun? Here are two antiques.

smellfeast – an uninvited dinner guest; a parasite; a greedy sponger
[once a very common word]
shot-clog – the companion tolerated because he pays for the drinks
June 28, 2005, 10:36
Kalleh
quote:
shot-clog – the companion tolerated because he pays for the drinks

I love it! I haven't heard of that term before, but I am definitely posting about it on the realbeer.com site.

Great word! Big Grin
June 28, 2005, 21:46
wordcrafter
curate's egg(chiefly British) something with both good and bad partsThe term is from a cartoon by George Du Maurier which appeared in Punch of Nov. 9, 1895. Under a picture (copy here) of a curate dining with his bishop, the caption reads:Some say that "curate's egg" properly refers not to something partly bad, but to a completely bad situation that one attempts to cover with a phony (and perhaps opportunistic) optimism. That meaning might be more in the spirit of the cartoon, but does not reflect how the term was used, from its inception. Here are quotes confirming that early usage: