Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moray Login/Join

posted
I heard a homophone of moray, but I don't know how to spell it or what it means. I heard it in the plural: "morays." Any ideas?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have only ever heard of "moray" as a kind of eel. Could the word you heard have been a mispronunciation? Maybe the speaker meant "morass".

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
In jprinting, there is a "moire" pattern which occurs when two separate overlays have the same angles (they're usually separated by thirty degrees). We pronounced it "moray" since I think there should be an accent mark over the "e".

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6006 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Propbably mores 'accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group; moral attitudes; manners, ways' < Latin mōrēs 'customs, morals'. There is no singular form in English, but in Latin it was mōs.

I've only ever pronounced moiré /mwareɪ/, but /mɔreɪ/ is another pronunciation, at least in General American English; not sure about RP.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
How about the mondegreen from the old Dean Martin song, "That's Amore?"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
One of my bosses used to pronounce it mwahr but, after being laughed at universally, he came around to maw-ray.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6006 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, but zmjezd got it right.