Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moray Login/Join

posted
I heard a homophone of moray, but I don't know how to spell it or what it means. I heard it in the plural: "morays." Any ideas?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have only ever heard of "moray" as a kind of eel. Could the word you heard have been a mispronunciation? Maybe the speaker meant "morass".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In jprinting, there is a "moire" pattern which occurs when two separate overlays have the same angles (they're usually separated by thirty degrees). We pronounced it "moray" since I think there should be an accent mark over the "e".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Propbably mores 'accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group; moral attitudes; manners, ways' < Latin mōrēs 'customs, morals'. There is no singular form in English, but in Latin it was mōs.

I've only ever pronounced moiré /mwareɪ/, but /mɔreɪ/ is another pronunciation, at least in General American English; not sure about RP.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
How about the mondegreen from the old Dean Martin song, "That's Amore?"

<Proofreader>
posted
One of my bosses used to pronounce it mwahr but, after being laughed at universally, he came around to maw-ray.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, but zmjezd got it right.