Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words of Emotion

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/3641013206

January 19, 2009, 13:17
wordcrafter
Words of Emotion
This week we return to humanity, and present words of emotion.

A nice image, behind our first word, is revealed by its etymology.

perfervid – extremely or extravagantly eager; impassioned or zealous, excessively fervent
Latin per- utterly + fervidus glowing hot, fiery]
January 20, 2009, 08:14
wordcrafter
Today’s word is in honor of Barack Obama, marking his inauguration today. Our quote is from today’s Wall Street Journal.

equanimity – steadiness of mind, composure, esp. when under stress
[from Latin æquus even + animus mind, spirit]
January 21, 2009, 09:21
wordcrafter
delectation – pleasure and delight
[from Latin delectare to please, to charm]

OED says “more or less affected or humorous, and restricted to the lighter kinds of pleasure.” I would say that today’s word has the connotation of a cheap and selfish pleasure, of which one should perhaps be a bit ashamed. What do you think?

Our first quote concern 1960s Alabama Governor George Wallace. The second is form the biography of one of the musicians in The Eagles, a popular rock group.
January 21, 2009, 10:48
Richard English
It has no connotations of cheapness or selfishness to me.

Richard English
January 21, 2009, 10:55
arnie
Nor to me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 22, 2009, 10:14
wordcrafter
A few days ago we saw the contrast between being excessively fervent (“perfervid”) and having composure (“equanimity”). Today’s word contrasts with the pleasure and delight (“delectation”) we saw yesterday.

dolor; dolourliterary: painful grief; great sorrow or distress
[Latin dolor pain, grief]
January 23, 2009, 10:44
wordcrafter
The nymphs of classical Greek mythology were a semi-divine spirits, contact with whom could induce a crazed frenzy in humans. People so afflicted were nympholēptos, or nymph-seized. [lēptos: seized, taken, as in epilepsy; cognate to our word lemma]

nympholepsy – an emotional frenzy, esp. from desire for something unattainable (such as from frustrated idealism). adj. nympholeptic; noun nympholeptA lovely meaning. But another meaning is probably more useful.

nympholepsy – a man's passion or desire for young girls
January 23, 2009, 11:08
Robert Arvanitis
From etymonline we read: nymphomania 1775, in Eng. translation of "Nymphomania, or a Dissertation Concerning the Furor Uterinus," by Fr. doctor M.D.T. Bienville, coined from Gk. nymphe "bride" + mania "madness."

Likewise, narcolepsy is seized by sleep.

Well, if first the bride is mad, then to keep our analogies straight, nympholepsy must mean she caught you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert Arvanitis,

RJA
January 24, 2009, 08:40
wordcrafter
wroth – intensely angry; highly incensed
[Old English, related to wrath and writhe]

The word usually has an antique flavor. In the phrase "to wax wroth", the word "wax" does not refer to candle wax. It is the opposite of the verb "to wane".Groucho Marx makes a terrible pun on "wroth" in the movie "Horse Feathers" (1932). In the role of the president of Huxley College he speaks (blue type) with his receptionist (red type):
January 24, 2009, 19:59
wordcrafter
paroxysm – a sudden outburst of emotion or action (also, a spasm or fit; a convulsion)
A reader was offended by my recent treatment of the word equanimity (see here), and he wrote, "We don't want your propaganda in our inbox masquerading as word definitions anymore." My apologies to any I have offended. Here's an alternate quotation.
January 25, 2009, 09:08
Richard English
quote:
A reader was offended by my recent treatment of the word equanimity (see here), and he wrote, "We don't want your propaganda in our inbox masquerading as word definitions anymore."

I grieves me when people see malice where malice does not exist. The quotation was not yours, it was the Wall Street Journals and is, one must assume, their opinion of the attributes of Obama.

But even if it were your own quote, to suggest that a politician has equanimity does not mean that you support that politician or even his views. You are simply saying that he has a measure of steadiness under pressure.

Richard English
January 25, 2009, 11:49
tsuwm
(I know it matters to you not one whit, but) just so you know that you're not alone in this sort of thing, Anu did a week of Obama quotations and claims he got minor complaints, hate mail, cancellations, the whole gamache.
January 25, 2009, 16:13
<Proofreader>
Some people only want to hear what they want to hear. Since you can't please them, or know exactly what displeases them, i say ignore them.