Wordcraft Community Home Page
Astronomy terms, and metaphor

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/3731015503

March 06, 2006, 09:08
wordcrafter
Astronomy terms, and metaphor
Our new theme is terms from astronomy, many of them with metaphorical uses, and we begin with one that would also fit last week's theme. John Archibald Wheeler coined the term, and I've provided a definition. OED does not yet have this sense of the term.

black holeastronomy: an object whose gravity is so strong that nothing can escape, no matter how fast it moves (not even light). Such an object is caused by the collapse, or implosion, of an extremely massive object under the pull of its own gravity.

For metaphoric purposes, the salient feature of a black hole is that anything that gets close enough will inevitably and inescapably be sucked in by the gravity, never to exit.

black holemetaphoric: something that continually consumes and never releases resources or other thing.
March 06, 2006, 19:46
Kalleh
Just today, after the Academy Awards, I read this: "He noted that the movie industry's box office was down, called Hollywood a "moral black hole," and opined that Spielberg was close to completing a "trilogy"about horrible things that have happened to the Jews."

Interesting use of "black hole."
March 07, 2006, 06:56
wordcrafter
apogeemetaphoric: the culmination or highest point reached
(astronomy: the farthest point from earth in the orbit of the moon or other earth satellite)Bonus word:
orthography
– the conventional spelling system of a languageNote: for apogee, the opposite (that is, the closest point of earth orbit) is perigee. For objects orbiting the sun, the equivalent terms are aphelion and perihelion.
March 08, 2006, 07:35
wordcrafter
As previous words of the day we've presented and distinguished meteor, meteoroid and meteorite, all as astronomical terms. There's a figurative use as well.

meteoric – of very sudden brilliance, swiftly rising and seemingly coming from nowhere.
Usually refers to transient brilliance, but not always, as in our quotation.
March 08, 2006, 18:49
neveu
quote:
meteoric – of very sudden brilliance, swiftly rising and seemingly coming from nowhere.

That explains it. I always thought "meteoric rise" was a solecism, as meteors fall.
March 09, 2006, 06:28
wordcrafter
Many of our astronomical words are reasonably familiar. Today's word is inserted just to show you that I know some obscure ones too.

nutation [from Latin for 'to nod']
astronomy: periodic increases and decreases in the "tilt" of an orbit
medical: uncontrolled nodding

Forgive me if I cannot find any non-technical usage examples. But doesn't this word have wonderful potential for metaphoric use? "I nutated off throughout the professor's boring lecture."
March 09, 2006, 06:43
Robert Arvanitis
Excellent illustration distinguishing among rotation, precession and nutation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutation

(I always enjoy nice distinction -- passacaglia v. chaconne, zeugma v. syllepsis, even "nice" v. nice.)

RJA
March 09, 2006, 09:19
LoriL
I giggled when I read the medical definition of 'nutation'. The first thing that comes to mind is the little (toy? decorative?) dogs that sit in the back window of a car, and nod with the slightest movement.
March 09, 2006, 20:41
Kalleh
Yes, Lori! I remember those little dogs...do they still have them? Or what about bobbleheads?
March 10, 2006, 07:56
wordcrafter
Today's term can be confusing. It measures distance, but some authors see the word 'year' and think of it as measuring time. Arguably our second and fourth quotes exemplify that error.

light year
1) astronomical (first two quotes): a certain huge measure of distance, used in measuring interstellar space. It is the distance light travels in a year.
2) metaphoric (last two quotes): a very large distance or figurative distance

The astronomical light year is sometimes called about 6 trillion miles (9½ trillion km.), but sometimes 6 billion. Neither is error, because 'billion' is ambiguous. See bonus word.)bonus word: billion – to USns, a thousand million; to UKers a million millions, which USns call a 'trillion'. That is, a UK 'billion' means what USns call a 'trillion': ten to the twelfth power.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
March 10, 2006, 08:14
Robert Arvanitis
Not so egregious an error as this one, according to Wiki:

"Han Solo, in A New Hope, boasts that the Millennium Falcon made the 'Kessel Run' in less than twelve parsecs as evidence that it is a 'fast ship.' The parsec is a unit of distance, not time."

(PS: "UKer" is too close to "euchre.")

RJA
March 11, 2006, 07:54
wordcrafter
nebula
astronomy: a gas-mass or dust-mass within a galaxy
figurative: something ill-defined or insubstantial; a hazy mass or cloud.

For the astronomical definition, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I direct you magnificent pictures here and here. The figurative use of our term is infrequent but can be just as beautiful, as in this quote which I crib from OED:
March 11, 2006, 12:53
dalehileman
Another metaphoric use of "light year" is a long time. Of course it's wrong, but that's the way our language grows, by the insertion of almost any word that sounds like it might conceivably fit, until any word can come to mean almost anything, even its antonym
March 11, 2006, 16:40
neveu
quote:

nutation [from Latin for 'to nod']
astronomy: periodic increases and decreases in the "tilt" of an orbit
medical: uncontrolled nodding

botany: nodding movement of plants as they grow. Nice video here.
March 12, 2006, 08:03
wordcrafter
constellation
astronomy: a formation of stars seen, in the sky, as forming a figure
metaphoric: a collection or gathering, usually of prominent persons or things
[from L. com- + stella star]