Wordcraft Community Home Page
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4041039764

June 04, 2007, 20:57
wordcrafter
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee
The semifinals and finals of the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee were held last week, and broadcast on ESPN, no less. This week we'll look at some of the words the contestants had to face in the day's rounds.

Now many of the words that day are, frankly, not very interesting. (I mean, granted that pschent is a difficult word to spell – but is there any interest or utility in a word that means "the double crown of ancient Egypt, combining the white crown of Upper Egypt with the red crown of Lower Egypt"?) Fortunately, we can find some good ones among them. For instance, here's the last word missed, the word on which the second-place finisher stumbled.

coryza – a runny nose, as with a cold (or more exactly, the inflamed nasal membrane that causes the runny nose). Greek koruza, ‘nasal mucus’
[Some sources, such as AHD, define it as the cold itself. But the word refers to the nasal symptom, not to the underlying disease.]
June 04, 2007, 21:01
Kalleh
It's a fairly common medical term, though I haven't heard it generally used. I remember Cook's book, and it was quite good.
June 05, 2007, 20:17
wordcrafter
Here's a fun one.

Schuhplattler – a lively Bavarian and Austrian folk-dance, with slapping of the thighs and heels
[the roots are German for shoe and slap]
June 06, 2007, 18:12
wordcrafter
Today's word has an interesting pair of meanings, each of which we'll illustrate.

tournure1. graceful manner or bearing 2. a woman's bustle or other padding "to give shapeliness" to her waist or hips

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
June 07, 2007, 16:12
wordcrafter
genizah – a repository for Hebrew documents and sacred books that are no longer in use (e.g. old and worn), but must not be destroyed

June 08, 2007, 15:41
wordcrafter
These are not common words this week. Today's is particularly rare – but fun.

punaise – a bed-bug
June 08, 2007, 16:27
Myth Jellies
Punaise.

That sort of brings up some questions. When does a French word become an English word? Should the above text count as an example since Mademoiselle is presumably French and could very likely in her excitement be using words in her native tongue?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
June 09, 2007, 13:12
wordcrafter
Belial – the spirit of evil personified
June 09, 2007, 16:56
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Myth Jellies:
Punaise.

That sort of brings up some questions. When does a French word become an English word? Should the above text count as an example since Mademoiselle is presumably French and could very likely in her excitement be using words in her native tongue?

Myth Jellies, I was thinking the very same thing. I mean, why even import that particular word, which doesn't exactly mean bedbug... 'punaise des lits' is bedbugs; 'punaise des bois' is stinkbug, which is a lot closer to the etymology of the word (L.Latin putinasius,means 'stinking'). At least I don't think bedbugs emit a smell from a gland the way stinkbugs do-- though I can see the connection, I guess.

So I researched further, & found that this is one of those words that must have come to us from our several-hundred-year period of being managed by & speaking the language of the French. I guess even though we have perfectly good words of "our own", we have to accept the 'high-class' French words that sneaked in.. probably they were seen as more polite ways of expressing crude concepts. Looks like back in the early days (here, the 1500's), the word was used to mean crabs, bedbugs, & who knows what other annoying vermyn, as they were called back then.

I found this on Google book search-- it's an 1853 commentary on a 1568 text. Notes and Queries: A Medium of Intercommunication for Literary Men, General Readers, Etc By William John Thomas, Doran (John), Henry Frederick Turle, Joseph Knight, Vernon Horace Rendall, Florence Hayllar, page 496.

I also found this funny use of the word on a blog calling for curses in obscure languages: "As an example of imaginative insult, here is one from a French taxi driver, addressing a little old man who was crossing the street too slowly: 'Espèce de petit gigot de punaise!' (I leave it to others to translate into English - it has to do with the man's legs being as tiny as a bedbug's). language hat
June 10, 2007, 01:49
Richard English
It is my firm belief that one of the reasons why English has become the world's most important language is its willingness to import, accept and quite quickly adopt words from all sources.

So comfortable are we with this concept that there are many words which we now use as if they were our own when, in truth, they only entered our vocabulary a few years ago.

Refusal to accept lexicographical immigrants impoverishes a language as a refusal to accept human immigrants can impoverish a society.

Richard English
June 10, 2007, 16:52
wordcrafter
Today we have a once-common term for a heat-induced fever or delirium. Famous works used it thus, and (like 'fever') it can also be used figuratively to mean 'passion'. This is illustrated in the post below, and if this were all, it would be rather dull.

But Samuel Johnson's old dictionary (perhaps influenced by mariner's tales) gave a too-narrow but striking definition, from which have come two rare but beautiful figurative usages. Johnson wrote:

calenture – a distemper peculiar to sailors in hot climates, wherein they imagine the sea to be green fields, and will throw themselves into it

On this basis, sometimes the term is used metaphorically to mean the self-destructive urge, such as the urge, when at a great height, to throw oneself off:And sometimes it evokes our mental magic which transform the mundane into something transcendent and magical. Literature? Hope? Love? As Hamlet reminds us, "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

June 10, 2007, 19:31
wordcrafter
Literal ('heat fever'):Figurative (passion):
June 11, 2007, 11:40
Kalleh
What a beautiful word, Wordcrafter!
June 11, 2007, 14:34
neveu
I can't let this thread die without pointing out that the winner of the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee, Evan O’Dorney, 13, from Danville, California, was another dangerous insufferable homeschooler, the third in the last six years.
June 11, 2007, 19:03
Kalleh
Well, thanks for that, neveu. That certainly is excellent support for home schooling, isn't it? I have heard of some other situations here in Illinois lately where the kids have been involved in 4 and 5 after school activities and they have starred in testing. I am definitely supportive of home teaching when parents are capable and motivated. [I do realize that teachers aren't always capable and motivated.]
June 12, 2007, 21:44
BobKberg
Yes indeed Kalleh,

We considered home-schooling our kids - for about 30 seconds. Neither of us has the temperment for it - and pedocide is frowned upon. So what we did was to form good relationships with all of both kid's teachers, so that the teachers did not view us as an adversary - with one unhappy exception.

Bob
June 12, 2007, 21:45
BobKberg
I hope pedocide is an actual word - I just put it together from relevant roots.

Bob
June 13, 2007, 11:37
Kalleh
Funny because when I first saw your word pedocide, I thought of walking. I wonder if the ped in pediatrics and in pedestrian are related. Then of course there's pedigogy (a word often used in my field!). I guess I have some footwork to do. Wink
June 13, 2007, 11:44
arnie
You wouldn't have that problem if you Americans spelled words properly. It's pædo- . Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 13, 2007, 14:49
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
I can't let this thread die without pointing out that the winner of the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee, Evan O’Dorney, 13, from Danville, California, was another dangerous insufferable homeschooler, the third in the last six years.

I have nothing against homeschooling. However, homeschoolers winning international spelling bees, for me, conjures up images of kids at the mercy of eccentric parents who encourage them to study dictionaries 10 hrs a day instead of getting a well-rounded educational experience. I guess it's just the overcontrolling taxpayer in me.
June 13, 2007, 16:09
neveu
quote:
However, homeschoolers winning international spelling bees, for me, conjures up images of kids at the mercy of eccentric parents who encourage them to study dictionaries 10 hrs a day instead of getting a well-rounded educational experience.

And what image does public-schooled kids winning spelling bees conjure up?

Actually, this is one of the reasons I don't like the term "homeschooling": it conjures up too many images. I prefer "unauthorized education".
June 13, 2007, 17:40
jerry thomas
There must be a word for those who use one isolated example (the spelling-bee winner) as evidence for condemning a vast, popular system (home schooling).

In other words ...
June 13, 2007, 23:12
Richard English
quote:
There must be a word for those who use one isolated example (the spelling-bee winner) as evidence for condemning a vast, popular system (home schooling).

In the UK we call them "politicians".

Richard English