Wordcraft Community Home Page
Akeelah and the Bee

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4261041133

May 15, 2006, 09:35
wordcrafter
Akeelah and the Bee
Have you seen the current movie Akeelah and the Bee, which I highly recommend? It follows the contestants in an extremely stressful, demanding competition, but not the sort of sport you would think of: the U.S. national spelling bee.

This week we'll look at words from this year's bee. Each day I'll give you the phonetic pronunciation, so that you can try your hand at spelling the word; the link given will reveal the actual spelling to you.

'plεksjŏŏę(r) – a plaiting or interweaving
[ε–dress; ŏŏ–foot; ę–another (schwa)]
May 15, 2006, 11:53
Dianthus
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
Have you seen the current movie Akeelah and the Bee, which I highly recommend? It follows the contestants in an extremely stressful, demanding competition, but not the sort of sport you would think of: the U.S. national spelling bee.

This week we'll look at words from this year's bee. Each day I'll give you the phonetic pronunciation, so that you can try your hand at spelling the word; the link given will reveal the actual spelling to you.

'plεksjŏŏę(r) – a plaiting or interweaving
[ε–dress; ŏŏ–foot; ę–another (schwa)]
    An intruding rose has stolen a nest among the ~s of the vine.
    – J. P. Kennedy (credit OED for quote)

I've never even heard of the word, but I'll have a go. How about "pleks-jouer"?
May 16, 2006, 06:18
wordcrafter
If you have serendipity, what does one call the thing you find?

truvαy – a lucky find; a windfall; something interesting, amusing, or beneficial discovered by chance
[u–goose; α–palm; start]
Spelling of yesterday's word: plexure – a plaiting or interweaving
May 16, 2006, 09:13
Dianthus
quote:
If you have serendipity, what does one call the thing you find?

truvαy – a lucky find; a windfall; something interesting, amusing, or beneficial discovered by chance
[u–goose; α–palm; start]
    My dear, you are a perfect ~.
    – Thackery, Vanity Fair

Spelling of yesterday's word: plexure – a plaiting or interweaving

Frown I should have realised it had an X in the middle Frown. Ah well.

I'll try and do better with the next one. How about Trouvais?
May 17, 2006, 06:39
wordcrafter
missib'l – (of liquids) capable of being mixed together, in any proportion (In other words, like alcohol and water; not like oil and water.) The opposite is im~.(Yesterday's word: trouvaille – a lucky find; a windfall)
May 17, 2006, 09:07
Dianthus
quote:
missib'l – (of liquids) capable of being mixed together, in any proportion (In other words, like alcohol and water; not like oil and water.) The opposite is im~.
    Germany today is an uneasy vessel containing two im~ substances. When East met West four years ago, the two were at totally different stages of development. As a result, unification has proved to be a "collision under one roof."
    – Thomas Kielinger, National Review, Oct. 24, 1994
(Yesterday's word: trouvaille – a lucky find; a windfall)

Frown I'm not doing too well with these am I Frown. Ah well. I'll try this one - Miscible.
May 18, 2006, 06:28
wordcrafter
răsh' ē ŏs' * nāt' (rash ee OS uh nayt) – to reason methodically and logically
[*=schwa] [More often used in its –tion form.](Yesterday's word: miscible – (of liquids) capable of being mixed together. Yesterday's word and today's are from the movie, not from the actual bee.)
May 18, 2006, 08:47
Dianthus
quote:
răsh' ē ŏs' * nāt' (rash ee OS uh nayt) – to reason methodically and logically
[*=schwa] [More often used in its –tion form.]
    Yet though I could never have been a scientist, I had scientific as well as imaginative impulses, and I loved ~ation.

– C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life

For such a superhuman being, ~ation was too tawdry and ordinary a matter. A Duce did not reason; he inspired
    – R. J. B. Bosworth, Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945
(Yesterday's word: miscible – (of liquids) capable of being mixed together. Yesterday's word and today's are from the movie, not from the actual bee.)

YAYYYY!!! I got yesterday's Smile!

OK - boosted by the confidence gained in that one, I'll try Ratiocinate.
May 19, 2006, 06:27
wordcrafter
tĕ-REET – cylindrical (but typically with slight taper at the ends) and smooth
[from Latin for 'rounded'. Used of fleshy leaves, as in orchids, or other plant parts; a picture is worth a thousand words.](Yesterday's word: ratiocinate – to reason methodically and logically)
May 19, 2006, 09:29
Dianthus
YAYYYYY!!! Another one correct Smile! Actually, I'll come clean - I knew that one Smile!

I'll have a complete blind guess at today's. How about Tayrete?
May 20, 2006, 07:40
wordcrafter
gr* VEE *l*nt – having a rank smell
[*=schwa](Yesterday's word: terete – cylindrical (with tapering ends) and smooth)
May 20, 2006, 12:34
Dianthus
quote:
gr* VEE *l*nt – having a rank smell

Frown Back to square one again as they say Frown.

Ok, how about "gravelant"?
May 21, 2006, 07:45
wordcrafter
Today's hard-to-spell word pertains to words, specifically to verbs. Click link for spelling.

seemεl-fæk-tiv – of a verb: expressing the sudden and single occurrence of an action, e.g. cough; sneeze; glimpse; flash; tap
[ε=dress; æ=trap, bath (U.S.)]Yesterday's word: graveolent – having a rank smell)
May 21, 2006, 10:08
Dianthus
quote:
Today's hard-to-spell word pertains to words, specifically to verbs. Click link for spelling.

seemεl-fæk-tiv – of a verb: expressing the sudden and single occurrence of an action, e.g. cough; sneeze; glimpse; flash; tap
[ε=dress; æ=trap, bath (U.S.)]
    seemεl-fæk-tivs are punctual events which have no result state.
    – Robert D. Van Valin, Jr., Exploring the Syntax-Semantics Interface
Yesterday's word: graveolent – having a rank smell)

Ah, so that's what graveolens means in botanical terms!!!

Ah well. I've got TWO right so far, so let's try this latest one. Since it pertains to events happening at the same time, I'll try Simulfactive.
May 21, 2006, 11:01
zmježd
Graveolent from Latin gravis 'heavy' and olens 'smelling'. Cf. saying: pecunia non olet. (Money doesn't stink.) From Suetonius Twelve Caesars. Supposed to have been said by Vespasian to his son Titus. The emperor had levied a urine tax on public latrines in Rome, and was criticized for this by his son. He held up a coin and pointed out that it didn't smell.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.