Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words I've Recently Run Into

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/430102012

June 19, 2009, 19:36
wordcrafter
Words I've Recently Run Into
(Let no anti-preposition-ender decree that this theme should be titled "Words Into Which I've Recently Run".)

If we'd only take time to notice, we'd see what a richness of words we bump into just in our ordinary, day-to-day life. As this theme will illustrate. Each of its words is one I came across this week, without any special effort.

bona fide – genuine; real
June 19, 2009, 19:55
<Proofreader>
I once had a really skinny dog, sort of a bony Fido.
June 20, 2009, 09:05
<Asa Lovejoy>
When Cher divorced Sonny, she was no longer Bono--Fide.

This term is used with humorous results in the movie, "O Brother Where Art Thou."
June 21, 2009, 11:32
wordcrafter
cri de coeur – a passionate appeal or complaint [French, ‘cry from the heart’]

The Wall Street Journal's comment on Obama's health-care address to American Medical Association:
June 22, 2009, 05:00
wordcrafter
Today's word was found on a trip to the zoo.

One meaning is "a helmet". That's rather uninteresting, in that there'd be little reason to use the word when you could just as well say "helmet". The fun is in the ancillary, zoological meaning.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

casque – a helmet, or an anatomical structure that suggests a helmetAnother bird with a prominent casque is the cassowary, six feet tall, which the Guinness Book of World Records calls the most dangerous bird in the world.
June 22, 2009, 19:24
shufitz
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Words are chameleons, which reflect the colour of their environment.
-Learned Hand, jurist
British spelling? I'm betting that your source has in wrong, since Hand was a U.S. jurist, but I'll check. Big Grin
June 22, 2009, 19:57
<Asa Lovejoy>
I questioned that too, Shu, but let it stand with the British spelling. Spelling is chameleon-like too! Big Grin
June 26, 2009, 06:18
wordcrafter
Two advertisements seen.

The first was spotted in the window of a small Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurant. You don't want to cook tonight, but don't want to go out to dine and be seen in public?And this from a drug advertisement. I thought the word I spotted was an error, but it turns out to be a perfectly respectable word, used principally in the medical context.agoraphobia – an abnormal fear of open or public places
impulsivity – the character of acting on impulse, without reflection or forethought. (Hence impulsivist, one who acts on impulse.)
July 03, 2009, 07:37
wordcrafter
An interesting quote, seen in the newspaper.

lustrate – to purify by means of ceremony