Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words of the Theater

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4341012464

May 22, 2007, 17:35
wordcrafter
Words of the Theater
Our theme this week will be "Words of the Theater".

loge – in a theater or the like: 1. a small box of seats 2. the front rows of the mezzanine
We illustrate each sense.
May 23, 2007, 17:54
wordcrafter
greenroom – a waiting room or lounge for the performers, when they are offstage

You might forget this word, but you'll never forget this story that Phyllis Diller tells on herself in our second quote!
May 23, 2007, 17:54
wordcrafter
greenroom – a waiting room or lounge for the performers, when they are offstage

You might forget this word, but you'll never forget this story that Phyllis Diller tells on herself in our second quote!
May 24, 2007, 15:35
wordcrafter
claque1. a group of people hired to applaud or heckle a performer; a "rent-a-crowd" 2. a group of sycophantic followers (esp. in politics)
[from Fr. claquer "to clap"]
May 25, 2007, 18:29
wordcrafter
proscenium – an arch framing the opening between the stage and the auditorium; also called proscenium arch.

Our second quote makes lovely metaphorical use of proscenium as the "opening" into the special world presented on stage. (Its last word, by the way, is an alternate form of "terrain".)(A secondary meaning of proscenium is "the part of a stage in front of the curtain".)
May 25, 2007, 21:30
neveu
quote:
(Its last word [terrane], by the way, is an alternate form of "terrain".)

Actually, in this context, it means "an accretion that has collided with a continental nucleus, or 'craton' but can be recognized by the foreign origin of its rock strata" (from Wikipedia). It's as if the plate Hawaii is on was subducted beneath a continental plate, but Hawaii itself was scraped off and added to the coast. California is made up of many different terranes.
May 26, 2007, 15:11
wordcrafter
histrionic – theatrical in style; 'stagey';
hence histrionics – exaggerated emotional behavior calculated for manipulative effect

I suppose all acting is "faking it." Certainly today's quote, of which I'm fond, concerns "faking it". Smile
May 27, 2007, 13:54
wordcrafter
wing it – to attempt a task without sufficient preparation, and be forced to improvise

A reader points out to me (thanks, Susan!) that this comes from the theater, where a thespian might be suddenly thrust into a role on short notice, without time to learn the lines. How does this relates to the "wings" of a theater? OED's quotes give two different explanations:

– the artiste frequently received the assistance of a special prompter … screened … by a piece of the scenery or a wing
– refreshing his memory for each scene in the wings before he goes on to play it(By the way, though wing and a prayer might seem related, it is a later phrase from WWII aviation.)
May 28, 2007, 14:30
wordcrafter
Theater companies in continental Europe routinely employ a "dramaturg" on staff. British companies have only recently started the practice, and the understanding of what a dramaturg is to do – that is, the English meaning of the word "dramaturg" – is evolving; indeed it is intensely debated. (Mary Luckhurst, Dramaturgy: A Revolution in Theatre)

Let me see if I can approach the concept:But to me the best definition is a New Yorker cartoon where a man in open vest parts the curtain, looks out to the audience, and asks hopefully, "Is there a doctor of literature in the house?"
May 29, 2007, 08:07
missann
I love the expression "break a leg." On the theory that it is bad luck to wish a performer "good luck" before a performance, one wishes him bad luck, i.e., to break a leg, in the hope he will have good luck.
I frequently use the phrase to wish someone well before doing something.
May 31, 2007, 19:53
Kalleh
There was an article today about John Boller who is a dramaturg for Court Theatre's (at the University of Chicago) revival of Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia." Boller has a doctorate in mathematics, not theater, and is a senior lecturer in math at the University of Chicago. Apparently he isn't your typical dramaturg. According to the Chicago Tribune article, "Arcadia," which I haven't seen, turns on such esoteric mathematical matters as iterated algorithms, fractal geometry and Fermat's last theorem. Boller has the backstage theatrical job of being the scholarly researcher and historical expert. It was really a timely article, given this theme!
June 01, 2007, 00:14
Myth Jellies
Here is one that I never bothered to look up until this thread came out....

exeunt: Used as a stage direction to indicate that two or more performers leave the stage.
[Latin, third person pl. of exire, to go out; see exit.]

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp