Wordcraft Community Home Page
Disagreeable Sorts

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4441056794

October 08, 2007, 06:45
wordcrafter
Disagreeable Sorts
For this week's theme, let's look at various kinds of unpleasant characters.

vulgarian – an unrefined person, especially one flaunting newly-acquired power or wealth

To my mind, this quote offers a perfect picture of the concept.
October 09, 2007, 07:33
wordcrafter
Today's word is used more heavily in Great Britain than in the U.S.

lickspittle – a fawning underling; a toady (but more commonly used as an adjective)

The origin of lickspittle is obvious, I assume?
October 09, 2007, 21:04
Kalleh
For the record, I am assuming that all of these disagreeable sorts are male. It's only fair. Wink
October 10, 2007, 08:47
wordcrafter
Of course, Kalleh. As usual, your assumption is almost always correct.

grobian – a slovenly boor; a lout
Bonus word: parricide – the killing of [or the killer of] one’s own parent – usually the father – or other near relative

In The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian, two diners discuss with wry irony the sailing crew they have hired. (O’Brian also used grobian with different humor in Post Captain, our second quote.)Can anyone help decipher what slendrian means? I gather that in German, schlendrian means something like “a lounger or loiterer”.
October 10, 2007, 09:31
tsuwm
I'm guessing that slendrian is a Scandinavian form of schlendrian.
October 10, 2007, 09:38
zmježd
schlendrian

Grimms' dictionary suggests that it is from the German verb schlendern 'to loaf, slack' plus the mock Latin ending -ianus 'sombody who'. There's a cross reference to grobian which is also a German word, 'brute, churl, ruffian; peasant, rustic'; influenced by grober Jan 'rough Johnny'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 11, 2007, 09:00
wordcrafter
clodhopper – a clumsy, coarse person, esp. a rustic (also, a big heavy shoe)

As with lickspittle,, the origin seems obvious.
October 12, 2007, 04:27
wordcrafter
What do Felix Unger, Henry Higgins, and Minerva McGonagall have in common?fussbudget – a person who fusses over trifles
October 12, 2007, 20:41
wordcrafter
curmudgeon – an ill-tempered person (typically old), full of resentment and stubborn notions
October 13, 2007, 21:13
Kalleh
While a curmudgeon could be a man or a woman, I think you hear more about men being curmudgeons. I very much like the word though; it's quite descriptive. I agree that it typically refers to "old" men.
October 13, 2007, 21:35
wordcrafter
We end our “Disagreeable Sorts” theme with the Scotsman’s name for folks from that insignificant and unpleasant country to the south. <Wordcrafter has tongue squarely in his cheek.>

SassenachScottish & Irish; derogatory: an English person (adj. English
[Scottish Gaelic Sasunnoch, Irish Sasanach, from Latin for 'Saxons']
October 14, 2007, 07:16
zmježd
The Welsh, who speak a language related to Gaelic, have a similar term: Saesnaeg. (NB, the English language is called Béarla in Gaelic.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.