Wordcraft Community Home Page
Animals as Metaphors

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4531028535

April 29, 2008, 07:10
wordcrafter
Animals as Metaphors
The human animal sometimes uses other animals as metaphors for their traits. This week we share some instances.

Sidebar: Our first quote describes the host of a weekly TV news-interview show. It comes from a novel by the son of William J. Buckley, who hosted such a show, The Firing Line. Did the novelist model his character after his father? I give you a bit more of the quote, so you can decide.

owlish1. like an owl, especially in seeming solemn and wise 2. (of glasses or eyes) resembling the large round eyes of an owl
April 30, 2008, 07:13
wordcrafter
leonine – of or like a lionThere is also Leonine verse, which Ambrose Bierce explains, with typical humor, in his Devil’s Dictionary:
May 01, 2008, 07:18
wordcrafter
Just for fun, here’s an extremely obscure word.

But a useful one. Have you known someone who, faced with an unpleasant situation, “buries his head in the sand” like an ostrich? That is, refuses to face it, pretends it doesn’t exist? And thus, by letting it fester unattended, usually makes it worse?

Shouldn’t there be a word for it? Sure – and you’re about to meet that word.

struthionine – ostrich-like
May 01, 2008, 13:26
goofy
From Greek στρούθειος "ostrich" perhaps from PIE *trozdo- as in "thrush".

ostrich is from Vulgar Latin *avis strūthiō .
May 02, 2008, 07:28
wordcrafter
albatrossmetaphorical: a burden or encumbrance, particularly a marker of guilt, etc. (literal: a very large white seabird with long narrow wings) Etymologies given after the quotes.

Dare I give some recent political examples, if I strive for neutrality and list them alphabetically by candidate?Etymology: The “burden” sense alludes to the bird in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge (1772–1834). “Water, water, everywhere, / Nor any drop to drink.” The “bird” sense is from Sp./Port. alcatraz ‘pelican’ (influenced by Latin albus ‘white’). That, in turn, is probably from Arabic, either al-ghattas ‘sea eagle’ or al-qadus 'machine for drawing water, jar' (Greek kados ‘jar’), noting the pelican's pouch. [Notice that this was a false splitting. The Arabic al-, meaning ‘the’, was thought to be part of the word.]

An obscure meaning, in golf: one under par is a birdie and two under par is an eagle. A bigger bird for the greater achievement. So naturally, three under par is named for an even grander bird. It is called an albatross.
May 02, 2008, 07:40
Robert Arvanitis
Important distinction: The albatross itself represents good luck. It was only when the mariner killed it, that he had to wear it in penance.

RJA
May 03, 2008, 07:16
wordcrafter
ursine – like a bear[Yes, this is the same work I cited a few days ago, for owlish. So sue me! I liked the book, although I enjoyed the author’s Boomsday even more.]
May 04, 2008, 07:10
wordcrafter
waspish
1. like a wasp (sharply irritable, or showing irritation)
2. like a WASP (disparaging: of the power elite or the social elite of White Anglo Saxon Protestants)

For the former sense, we enjoy Shakespeare’s breathtakingly bawdy banter between Petruccio and Katherine. For the latter we use the another oft-bawdy source, the Harvard student-newspaper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
May 05, 2008, 07:21
wordcrafter
Note to readers: Help wanted! Amid the US presidential campaign, my next them will be on words from the recent press (preferably negative) about politics or politicians. I only have a few, not enough for a theme, but surely I can count on you to email me more from your daily reading. Any and all input is cheerfully accepted, with my thanks, and will be credited.

Now, on to today’s word, coltish. The dictionaries err. (To prove this, I’ve give far more quotes than usual, the first three are particularly clear.) They say define it as “energetic but awkward” or as “lively and playful; frisky”. But actual usage shows that the word is almost always used for an adolescent girl, with sexual implications. How odd, since a colt is by definition male.

coltish – with the enthusiastic awkwardness of youth (almost always applied to a female, with implications of budding sexuality)