Wordcraft Community Home Page
Pregnancy, from Z to A

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4861042425

February 19, 2008, 19:47
wordcrafter
Pregnancy, from Z to A
A natural follow-up to our ‘love and lust’ theme is a ‘pregnancy’ theme. [As Ogden Nash says of June brides, “This year’s June is next year’s Junior.” Right about this time of year, too.] Our theme, like pregnancy, goes from Z to A, or more exactly, from zygote to accouchement. Our beginning word is from the extreme end of the dictionary.

zygote – the cell resulting from the fusion of egg and sperm [from Greek zugotos ‘yoked’]We’ll try to keep this theme from becoming overly scientific, but please permit just a bit here.Bonus word:
ectopic
– in an abnormal place or position. [Greek ektopos ‘out of place’]
February 20, 2008, 20:07
wordcrafter
Apart from the familiar terms ‘trimester’ and ‘morning sickness’, there are few words pertaining to the mid-months of pregnancy. Here’s one.

chloasma – a patchy brown skin discoloration
[particularly occurs on a woman's face from hormonal changes of pregnancy. from Greek for ‘green’]
February 21, 2008, 20:37
wordcrafter
tocology – the science of childbirth; midwifery or obstetrics

Recently, a Missouri legislator took advantage of the fact that this word is almost never used. He inserted, in a bill regarding services covered by medical insurance, permission for services from – thus allowing midwives to practice without collaboration with a physician. Apparently he was able to sneak it in because no one understood what the clause meant!
– Columbia [Missouri] Tribune, Midwifery play draws reprimand; 'Snuck-in' clause reaches [Governor] Blunt’s Desk, May 15, 2007
February 22, 2008, 20:45
wordcrafter
Today’s word has two very different senses, each from the concept of ‘to gird; to encircle closely’.

enceinte1. pregnant 2. a fortification encircling a castle or town; also, the area protected
February 23, 2008, 21:20
wordcrafter
gravid – pregnant

A nice simile today.
February 23, 2008, 23:45
neveu
Actually, I think gravid is more general than pregnant. I have only heard gravid used to refer to female animals that were full of fertilized eggs (which you wouldn't call pregnant) but it appears to encompass pregnancy as well.
February 24, 2008, 03:27
arnie
I've also seen gravid used metaphorically to describe dark, heavy clouds that were about to drop rain.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 24, 2008, 04:55
Robert Arvanitis
From Kurt Vonnegut:
He was a portly man, aslop with coffee, gravid with Danish pastry. Poor, lugubrious Fred spent his mornings seeking insurance prospects in the drugstore
www.scribd.com/doc/41441/Kurt-Vonnegut-God-Bless-You-Mr-Rosewater - 769k -

RJA
February 24, 2008, 18:17
wordcrafter
Let’s face it: pregancy is uncomfortable, and a woman can rightly think, “Men! They don’t have to lug this load around for months!” So our lady readers may appreciate an animal where the male carries the developing eggs, wrapped around his legs.

midwife toad – a certain genus of toad of Western Europe, in which the males carry a string of fertilised eggs

You’ll find the midwife toad on the Guardian’s list of World's Weirdest Amphibians. On that list I also liked the olm (a blind salamander with transparent skin that lives underground and can survive without food for 10 years) and the Chinese giant salamander (which can be 1.8m long, more than 5 feet).
February 24, 2008, 18:41
jerry thomas
Amazing !!

A tiny frog -- no bigger than a drawing pin -- taught me today that a drawing pin is a thumbtack.

The frog, by the way, lives in Seychelles, where she sells seashells, or so she says.
February 25, 2008, 19:53
wordcrafter
I’d promised you pregnancy “from Z to A, from zygote to accouchement.” But since accoucheuse (midwife) has already been our word of the day a few years ago, I’ll just direct you to it, and offer a different 'pregnancy' word.

parturient – in labor; about to give birth (parturition – the action of giving birth; childbirth)

First used in reference to a saying of Horace: parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus, “The mountain has labored and brought forth a ridiculous mouse;” meaning “great labor but little result.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,