Wordcraft Community Home Page
Kinds of People

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4891098015

December 10, 2007, 19:19
wordcrafter
Kinds of People
What words could be more fascinating than ones that pinpoint the personalities of people in our world? Such will be our theme this week.

janissary – one of a group of a highly loyal supporters

So say the dictionaries, but I think the term is more specific. It implies a ruthlessness and near-religious zeal. As in our quote.
December 10, 2007, 19:43
Robert Arvanitis
Interesting to note a second kind of fierce soldier - the Mamelukes. Like the Janissaries a few centuries later, Mamelukes were "dhimmi" (non-Muslims) pressed into military service.

RJA
December 10, 2007, 20:23
zmježd
The two words, janissary (also janizary) and mamaluke have histories, too, the one from Turkish and the other from Arabic: janissary < Old French jehanicere < Old Italian giannizero < Ottoman Turkish yanī çeri 'new army' (< yanī 'new' + cheri 'special troops' < Persian chērīh 'bravery, victory' < chēr 'brave, victorious', and mamaluke < French mameluk < Arabic malūk 'slave' (< passive participle of malaka 'to possess' < West Semitic root *mlk 'to rule, dominate', cf. Hebrew melek 'king'). Two points of interest: Turkish yanī was obviously associated with Latin juvenis 'young' (and its subsequent derivations in the Romance languages) and MLK, the root for king in Hebrew, is the initials of Martin Luther King, Jr. His father being a minister, I always wondered if it were intentional.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 10, 2007, 20:39
Kalleh
quote:
the root for king in Hebrew, is the initials of Martin Luther King, Jr. His father being a minister, I always wondered if it were intentional.
I'm thinking not.
December 11, 2007, 08:35
Duncan Howell
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:

janissary – one of a group of a highly loyal supporters

It implies a ruthlessness and near-religious zeal.

Well, perhaps not ruthless, but certainly infused with religious zeal were the Papal Zouaves, a troop formed in Rome in the 1860's (largely composed of French Canadians, for some obscure reason) whose mandate was the defence of the Pope. Today there is the famous Swiss Guard, which fulfills the same (probably now ceremonial) function.
December 11, 2007, 08:46
zmježd
probably now ceremonial

The Pontifical Swiss Guards are armed (with pikes, swords, and modern weapons). One of their duties is to guard the pope. Candidates must have had military training in Switzerland and must be single and Catholic. Most of them are from German-speaking cantons.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 11, 2007, 15:59
neveu
quote:
Turkish yanī was obviously associated with Latin juvenis 'young'

So who borrowed from whom?
December 11, 2007, 17:55
zmježd
So who borrowed from whom?

I'm not sure if the similarity is borrowing or coincidence. I meant the words in Romance seem to have been reshaped by a supposed (folk) connection between the two words. Sorry I wasn't more clear. If the various languages had just borrowed yanī çeri, the initial glide wouldn't have been represented as a /ʤ/ in Italian or a /ʒ/ in French, or so it seems to me.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 11, 2007, 20:47
wordcrafter
voluble – characterized by ready or rapid speech

Interesting history: the word comes from Latin for 'to roll', as in a wheel that 'revolves'. That should give you the hint that this is not an entirely complimentary term, but rather has the sense of talking too much, of habitually rolling on and on and on and on and …
December 12, 2007, 09:30
goofy
iuvenis is from PIE *yuwen-. I don't think you need to posit a reshaping based on Turkish.
December 12, 2007, 09:40
zmježd
No, I meant the Old Italian giannizero from Turkish yanī çeri. The /j/ > /ʤ/ just looked like folk etymologizing along the lines of juvenis > giovane. But the more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me that the change is just common enough. Forget I mentioned it. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 12, 2007, 20:47
wordcrafter
I'm surprised to find how rarely this word is used.

endomorphic – having a heavy rounded body build, with a marked tendency to become fat
December 13, 2007, 20:13
wordcrafter
younker – a young man
[My sense is that it has the connotation of ‘a bit wet behind the ears’.]
December 14, 2007, 20:25
wordcrafter
fashionista – an enthusiast for the trends of fashion
(A mildly disparaging term, not just for the wearer of the clothing, etc., but also for the designers, models, fashion-writers, etc.)

Credit Quinion for today’s quote.
December 15, 2007, 16:39
wordcrafter
reactionary – an extreme conservative; one opposed of progress or liberalism (also as an adjective)'Reactionary' is a common word. The word I’d hoped to present is stronger but ridiculously obscure, so obscure that you can insult someone with it without fear that he’ll understand! Just call him a misoeist, suffering from misoneism, the fear of anything new. (OED defines it as merely “dislike of novelty,” but I think of it as far stronger, as in its very first usage.)
December 16, 2007, 02:34
pearce
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
I'm surprised to find how rarely this word is used.

endomorphic – having a heavy rounded body build, with a marked tendency to become fat

This was part of a system was devised by William Sheldon. http://www.innerexplorations.com/catpsy/t1c4.htm]His system
classed all humans into endomorphs, mesomorphs and ectomorphs, based on detailed measurements he made. We are all mixtures of these three elements, and they were related to the tendencies to certain ilnesses and to temperament.

Sheldon's system was widely taught in medical schools, but has now fallen into neglect.
December 16, 2007, 08:11
zmježd
neglect

For those with an interest in Sheldonian somatotypes, this New York Times article makes for interesting reading. It fits in with some reading I've been doing lately, starting with Stephen Jay Gould's The Mismeasure of Man (1981) and then plumbing the depths of Henry H Goddard's The Kallikak Family: A Study in the Heredity of Feeble-Mindedness (1912) and J. David Smith's Minds Made Feeble: The Myth and Legacy of the Kallikaks (1985): eugenics movements in the USA and Germany, US Supreme Court cases upholding compulsory sterilization, the origins of IQ and intelligence testing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 16, 2007, 18:31
wordcrafter
naif – a naïve person
(in either of two senses: 1. natural and unaffected; and 2. lacking the judgement to be aware of dangers)