Wordcraft Community Home Page
Making and Using Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/4931081515

January 01, 2008, 18:08
wordcrafter
Making and Using Words
We’ve finished our theme of “newness words”. Is there a term meaning “a new word”? Of course – and we’ll use it to transition to our new theme of “words about making words and using words”.

neologism – a newly coined word or expression
[Greek neo new + logos word]Bonus word:
inter alia
– among other things
January 02, 2008, 17:28
wordcrafter
hapax legomenon – a word that occurs only once in the recorded corpus of a given language, a literature, or an author
[Gk., lit. "once said"]
January 02, 2008, 18:53
tinman
I thought that phrase sounded familiar. Ammon Shea first used hapax on May 25, 2003 during one of our many discussions about i]epicaricacy[/i], and Kalleh used the full phrase, hapax logomenon, on November 03, 2004.
January 02, 2008, 19:11
zmježd
Yes. You do realize that hapax legomenon does predate both Ammon Shea and Kalleh? IIRC, the term is from classical philology and refers to words that only occur once in Homer. After than, anything goes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 03, 2008, 09:26
dalehileman
For the longest time I collected neologisms and late slang but when my compilation had grown to 5400 entries I had to quit becuse I couldn't keep up -- dalehileman@verizon.net
January 03, 2008, 13:45
wordcrafter
I can’t find any simple and complete definition of today’s term, so I’ll try to explain it.

A baseball is a type of ball; a cat-lover is a type of lover; in general, when a compound term ends with a noun, it means a noun of that type.

But there are exceptions. Sometimes it is a noun with a completely different meaning: a hatch-back is not a kind of back, and a sweet tooth isn’t a tooth! And sometimes it's not a noun, but as an adjective: we can speak of a high-fiber diet, a kick-ass speech, low-impact aerobics, and an upscale restaurant (but there is no such thing as a fiber diet, an ass speech, impact aerobics, or a scale restaurant.)

bakuvrihi – a compound word, ending with a noun, that does not function as a noun of that sort
[Sanskrit bahuvrihi 'having much rice', which in Sanskrit is a word of this type]It can get interesting if the noun’s plural form is irregular. For example, if a bigfoot and a sabretooth (each a bakuvrihi creature!) are in combat, and each is joined by its spouse, is it the bigfoots vs. the sabretooths? Or is it be the bigfeet vs. the sabreteeth? Wink
January 03, 2008, 14:13
zmježd
bakuvrihi

It's bahuvrihi. I get zero ghits for *bakuvrihi.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 03, 2008, 16:56
Seanahan
quote:
Hapax legomenon is a Greek term for words that occur only once in a text

Would it be too pedantic to say that Hapax legomenon is a Greek term for *a word that occurs only once in a text*. Hapax legomena is a Greek term for words that occur only once in a text. I had a linguistics professor who insisted on the difference.
January 03, 2008, 23:31
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
You do realize that hapax legomenon does predate both Ammon Shea and Kalleh?

Yes, of course I do. I meant in this forum. I thought that was obvious. I guess it wasn't.
January 04, 2008, 07:46
zmježd
I meant in this forum. I thought that was obvious. I guess it wasn't.

You might've added in this forum to the statement, and it would've been less ambiguous. Sorry to have bothered you.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 04, 2008, 12:15
wordcrafter
singlet – a humorous coined “word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should’
[The term “sniglet” was coined by Rich Hall, a cast member on the 1990 TV show “Not Necessarily the News,” on HBO. The quoted language above is his definition.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
January 05, 2008, 15:36
wordcrafter
I am embarrassed. The last two days’ words were bakuvrihi and sniglet, but I miswrote them as bahuvrihi and singlet. Ah, to err is human, and I hope you will forgive.
January 05, 2008, 15:36
wordcrafter
You may recall that our quotation for neologism, a few days ago, dealt with French resistance to popular foreign terms. Back in the 1500s when English was changing rapidly, there were those who similar opposed Latinate terms coming into and “polluting” the pure Anglo-Saxon. (Their objection may not have been entirely linguistic, for at the time England was on very bad terms with the major Latinate, Catholic countries of the continent, France and Spain.)

They coined a beautifully contemptuous phrase for the words they objected to. Unfortunately, their position was so extreme as to be silly, their position and their coinage did not catch on. Pity, for it is a wonderful term for “highfalutin language”.

inkhorn terms – pedantic terms or learned borrowing from foreign tongues [From the days of quill pens, which unlike modern pens do not carry their own ink. An inkhorn was a small vessel for ink fastened to the clothing.]Bonus Word:
meme
– an element of culture passed on by imitation or other non-genetic means

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
January 05, 2008, 16:29
zmježd
to err is human

... ti really mess things up takes a computer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 06, 2008, 13:46
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
You may recall that our quotation for neologism, a few days ago, dealt with French resistance to popular foreign terms. Back in the 1500s when English was changing rapidly, there were those who similar opposed Latinate terms coming into and “polluting” the pure Anglo-Saxon. (Their objection may not have been entirely linguistic

it never is.
January 06, 2008, 14:07
wordcrafter
back-formation – a word that is formed from what appears to be its derivative

For example, liaise from liaison, and enthused from enthusiasm. These two are notable because they jar the ear, but many other words created in just the same way have become so familiar that you wouldn’t notice: edit from editor; peddler from peddle; donate from donation; emote from emotion; accrete from accretion; aesthete from aesthetic; televise from television.

The tender-hearted policemen in Gilbert and Sullivan’s Pirates of Penzance sympathize with criminals, who are after all human beings like the rest of us.
January 07, 2008, 06:25
Caterwauller
quote:
Bonus Word:
meme – an element of culture passed on by imitation or other non-genetic means

Today, this term is used to mean a sort of online quiz or survey that allows a blogger to talk about themselves, i.e. "What kind of coffee drink are you?" or "101 things about me".

Have any of the rest of you seen this usage?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
January 07, 2008, 08:41
zmježd
a sort of online quiz or survey

I took this to be an extension of meme's primary meaning of something being passed along. I still read and hear the Dawkin's meaning used extensively in other less bloggish milieux.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 07, 2008, 11:41
arnie
Blogs make it very easy for a blogger's message to be picked up by other bloggers and reposted, with or without further comment. Thus someone who subscribes to one blog will see the message and perhaps pass it along in turn. The meme will thus be propagated.

Several RSS aggregators will track these memes and report on what topics are popular in the "blogosphere".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 07, 2008, 14:27
pearce
quote:
Bonus Word:
meme[/b] – an element of culture passed on by imitation or other non-genetic means

That is a good definition of Dawkins's invented term, but it has been so widely applied that its meaning is now blurred. Dawkins has commented that they are another kind of selfish replicator —things like ideas, fashions, tunes, and so forth that multiply by leaping from mind to mind. When Dawkins introduced the meme concept many thought that the evolution of culture, or even of the mind, might be explained as a sort of Darwinian competition among memes. But little has come of this. Dawkins emphasises: "It was always intended to be a way of dramatizing the idea that a Darwinian replicator doesn't have to be a gene. It can be a computer virus. Or a meme. The point is that a good replicator is just a replicator that spreads, regardless of its material form."

Now trendy and fashionable with pseudo-intellectuals the original sense is now debased.
January 07, 2008, 17:15
Seanahan
Also, Dawkins doesn't think the use of "selfish" was a good idea. On a separate note, for a scientist, he really is a fabulous write. Not many science books are patterned after the Canterbury Tales.
January 07, 2008, 20:22
wordcrafter
portmanteau word – a word formed by merging the sounds and meanings of two different words, as chortle, from chuckle and snort
[portmanteau (plural portmanteaux)– a large leather suitcase that opens into two hinged compartments. French portemanteau, from porter to carry + manteau cloak]

Two recent examples in the press:
January 07, 2008, 20:53
Robert Arvanitis
Searching for images of portmanteaux, I came upon one made by a Pennsylvania firm, The Sutler of Mount Misery.

That sounded almost Chaucerian as a craft or profession - "By appointment, Sutlers to Her Majesty.."

It means a provisioner, from a Dutch root meaning one who does the dirty work.

RJA
January 08, 2008, 07:54
BobHale
And one I posted on in another thread

globesity- the global obesity trend

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 08, 2008, 17:24
Duncan Howell
quote:
back-formation – a word that is formed from what appears to be its derivative...for example.... emote[/i] from emotion

Emotion
, having (willingly or not) spawned the back-formation emote, now has the distinction of participating in two of this weeks words, since emoticon seems like it might be a portmanteau composed of emotion + icon. Smile
January 11, 2008, 18:51
goofy
quote:
bakuvrihi

Sanskrit compounds can get pretty complex...

mṛga-pracāra-sūcita-śvāpadam araṇyam
"the game in the forest has been tracked by the movements of the deer"
literally, "the forest (is) one-in-which-the-beasts-are-indicated-by-the-movements-of-the-deer"

pratyāpanna-cetano vayasyaḥ
"my friend has regained consciousness"
literally "(my) friend (is) one-by-whom-consciousness-is-regained"