Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    This should be an easy one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This should be an easy one Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a word that describes a light, playful shove (usually at the shoulder; usually recurrent) functioning as a goad. It's important that the aspect of physical contact is expressed in the word. Example:
"I don't want to go to the circus." Defiant.
"Come on... come on..." His brother's shoulder now capped by his younger hand, goading.

<Proofreader>
posted
Hospitalization

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So witty Roll Eyes

<Proofreader>
posted
Perhapss someone of a more serious bent will bealong to help you shortly. I'm unable to think of an adequate term other than the previous.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Cuff?
Buffet?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Buffet?

Hit him with furniture?

posted Hide Post
Something more along the lines of 'prod,' please.

posted Hide Post
Something along the lines of hortatory...

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
How's about exhortative humeral jostling?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how about a single word? come on, doesn't anyone know?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There isn't a single word in English for every conceivable happening, although German tends to get close to it sometimes.

Unless you happen to have had a word in mind along along? In which case do share it with the rest of us.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
how about a single word?

I wonder what the obsession with finding single words for every conceivable definition is called. The number of possible definitions is infinite, but the lexical inventory of a language is finite (if poorly counted). One would need an infinite vocabulary to come up with words for every conceivable definition.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
The obsession? CLARITY. PRECISION. LINGUISTIC MASTERY.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Liguistic mastery I might go along with - but clarity and precision needs the proper use of language - which is not necessarily a reduction of every concept to single words.

Your exemplar sentence, "..."Come on... come on..." His brother's shoulder now capped by his younger hand, goading...." conveys its meaning pretty well without the necessity for single word to explain the concept of that light shove.

Edited for typo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
One would need an infinite vocabulary to come up with words for every conceivable definition.

Linguistic mastery indeed!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
CLARITY. PRECISION. LINGUISTIC MASTERY

Give me brevity and an absence of inkhorn terms. The mathematician and logician, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, addressed linguistic mastery in one of his lighter books (link). It little helps communication if your vocabulary needs copious footnotes to explain in plainer language what you're on about. But to each her own. Pray continue in your search.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I'd like to introduce your friend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson to my friend Thomas Pynchon.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid Dodgson died in 1898.

posted Hide Post
All the more reason to follow his advice! Apropos constantly evolving phenomena, the more anachronistic the advice, the better!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'd like to introduce your friend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson to my friend Thomas Pynchon.

They're both friends of mine. Good ones. And, Kevin-Bacon-istically they've both been in Simpsons episodes (Dodgson and Pynchon).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Kevin-Bacon-istically? Not bad; almost creative as far as hyphenated neologisms go: try and think more out-of-the-box-istically though.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
out-of-the-box
Rather a tired cliché nowadays, I'd say.

posted Hide Post
I agree. Got another word to express out-of-the-box?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. Got another word to express out-of-the-box?

"Lateral thinking". (Edward DeBono's phrase, not mine)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post