Wordcraft Community Home Page
C'est What

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/516100681

May 27, 2009, 07:18
wordcrafter
C'est What
Your wordcrafter, vacationing in Toronto this week, has been gratified to discover an excellent pub called C’est What. Obviously given to wordplay. Wordcrafter, through a beer-induced befuddlement, was able to notice several word-related bits of data there, to be shared with you here.

Form the handout titled C’est . . . What Is Beer All About?:
May 27, 2009, 17:56
<Asa Lovejoy>
Did growlers go with grinders?
May 28, 2009, 06:38
wordcrafter
to be at loggerheads – to be contending about differences of opinion
to go to loggerheads – such contention, featuring the time-honored uses fists to resolve the differences

From the same source as yesterday:
May 28, 2009, 07:16
<Proofreader>
quote:
Did growlers go with grinders?

To be eaten by grunts?
May 31, 2009, 21:43
wordcrafter
zymurgy – the branch of chemistry that deals with fermentation processes, as in brewing, wine-making, etc.
[cognate with enzyme; from Greek zyme a leaven. First syllable with a long i.]

Truly the last word in beer. Indeed, it's the last word in many standard English dictionaries, and thus useful in such phrases as "from aardvark to zymurgy". Also, one of the few brew-related words outside of Mr. English's immediate knowledge.
June 01, 2009, 01:55
Richard English
I know what zymurgy means. It's not a word I use all that often, though, since I am more interested in the results of the brewing process than I am about the details of its chemistry.

After all, every beer goes through a process of fermentation (even Dudweiser). It's what they ferment and what do to the stuff after it's been fermented, that turns potential beer into chemical fizz.

Richard English
June 01, 2009, 17:21
wordcrafter
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English: I know what zymurgy means.
Of course you do. That's why I said it was "outside of Mr. English's immediate knowledge". Wink
June 01, 2009, 17:22
wordcrafter
Yesterday's word was cognate with enzyme, which relates to today's word.

The first step in digesting grain, or in making beer from it, is to convert its starch into sugar. In eating, this starch-sugar conversion is made by enzymes in your saliva. In beer-making it's usually made by germinating the seed, but an alternate choice is to use the salivary enzymes.

One drink that was traditionally made this way is chicha. (It's now more often made by the more familiar, chewless process, and also comes in non-alcoholic forms).Side note on sake, the Japanese "rice wine": Sake also used to be produced with chewing.
. . .The term "rice wine" is an oxymoron, for "wine" is by definition made from grapes (the words "wine" and "vine" are cognate") or, at most, other plant juices. The product made from grain seed is called "beer". Sake is in fact "rice beer".
June 01, 2009, 17:57
neveu
quote:
It is made of corn that is chewed by the tribal women, spat into a bowl, and allowed to ferment for a few days before being consumed by the whole tribe

who then argue about how it used to be better before they started using cheaper saliva.
June 01, 2009, 19:33
<Proofreader>
There's an art to the making of chicha
That old women are eager to teach ya.
But if you say their beer
Is better than "fair",
Then Richard is quick to impeach ya.
June 03, 2009, 07:08
wordcrafter
C’est What handout:One website explains the technology, and another relates the history of the beer engine: