Wordcraft Community Home Page
Miscellaneous Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/545101671

May 17, 2009, 18:58
wordcrafter
Miscellaneous Words
Apologies for my absence. As a partial atonement I'll give you a word which, although tremendously important, has not made it into any dictionary I know of, either printed or on-line.fraccing (short for "fracture stimulation") – a technique to improve production flow in an oil or gas well: pushing in a sand/water mix under high pressure, in order to spread and hold open cracks across the formation
(verb: to frac)

This definition is adapted from Alberta Oil magazine, April 2009, which says, "[F]raccing has evolved into a high industrial art … This breaks up a lot of rock, making a lot more gas available. These new technologies are enabling us to access a whole lot more low-permeability [poorly flowing] rock than you would ever be able to reach with a vertical well.”
May 19, 2009, 08:02
wordcrafter
Tempus fugit – time flies (or more accurately, "time flees") From Latin fugere "to flee" we get fugitive, subterfuge and centrifuge (centrifugal force: "fleeing the center"), and also today's word.

fugacious – apt to flee away or flit. Hence fleeting, of short duration, evanescent (of things); or fleeing, ready to run away (esp. of persons)

Both senses deserve illustration, and the "fleeing" sense ties into a yesterday's quote.

Yesterday we saw the problem of underground oil that flows too sluggishly. But conversely, the fact that it can flow raises another problem. Who owns a mineral under a piece of land, if the mineral can't be trusted to stay there until the landowner mines it? if it can "flee"?And the sense of fugacious as "fleeting", transitory (rather than "fleeing"):

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
May 19, 2009, 11:19
Robert Arvanitis
"Fugue" in simple form can be either the contrapuntal musical form or the psychological state.

RJA
May 19, 2009, 11:51
<Proofreader>
And, of course, there is "fug-ue". Lexicographers differ on its exact meaning.
May 20, 2009, 08:45
wordcrafter
Yesterday we mentioned centrifuges

In monitoring Iran's nuclear program, one key indicator is whether it possesses a certain difficult-to-produce steel alloy which is exceptionally hard and strong. This special alloy is a key component of the latest generation of super-powerful centrifuges used to enrich uranium.maraging – a process for strengthening steel by slow cooling and subsequent age hardening; the resulting steel is called maraging steel
[etymology: the cooling converts the carbon-in-iron solution to a form called martensite. The word maraging means martensite + aging.]
May 21, 2009, 07:36
wordcrafter
dacoit – a member of a band of armed robbers, in India or Myanmar
[from Hindi for "robbery by a gang"]
May 22, 2009, 07:00
wordcrafter
penetralia – the innermost parts; the "innards"
[emphasizes "private" or "secret". Often used of a building: the holiest parts of a temple; the private family-chambers of a palace.]
May 22, 2009, 22:25
tinman
quote:

With his screwdriver, blunt and long, …

Seems like penetralia should have something to do with gentalia.
May 23, 2009, 06:03
<Proofreader>
Thoughts On the Word of the Day

For some time I’ve used my genitalia
To plug up female penetralia
And those ladies -- they love it
Since I sure can shove it
And, machine-like, perform without falia.
May 23, 2009, 07:46
wordcrafter
quote:
Originally posted by tinman: Seems like penetralia should have something to do with gentalia.

Originally posted by wordcrafter: … vestal virgins … the penetralia of their sanctuary
In hindsight, I should have saved "penetralia" for a theme of "Words that Sound Dirty". For shame that I didn't have a sufficiently dirty mind to think of it!

I shall endeavor to remedy that defect.
May 23, 2009, 07:47
wordcrafter
welkin – the vault of the heavens; the sky
Often used with a sense of awe (first quote), particularly of a loud, primal, and powerful sound that "makes the heavens ring" (second quote).
May 23, 2009, 13:54
tinman
quote:
For shame that I didn't have a sufficiently dirty mind to think of it!

Some of us excel in lewd thinking. It's a gift.
May 23, 2009, 14:33
<Proofreader>
I always thought a "welkin" arose following a blow to the foreskin. And I thank god for my lewd gift.
May 24, 2009, 09:00
wordcrafter
gammadion – a certain symbol, described below.
The name arises because the symbol can be described as four copies of the Greek letter Γ (gamma): one in upright position; the others made by successively rotating the first a quarter-circle, clockwise, around its bottom-left point.This symbol or its mirror image were used in many cultures, perhaps because they are is easy to draw, and naturally each culture had its own name for that symbol. English used this Greek-based name, which is of course not a familiar word.

But you know that symbol quite well by another name, a name that English took from Sanskrit. It comes from svastí "well-being, fortune, luck" [ good + astí being], and that happy origin is very ironic, for the word now has an extreme negative connotation.

The word is swastika.