Wordcraft Community Home Page
2008 Scrips Spelling Bee

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/5811020245

June 07, 2008, 22:13
wordcrafter
2008 Scrips Spelling Bee
As is our annual custom, we take this week’s words from the current Scrips spelling bee, whose 2008 contest has just been completed. We’ll select words which, though be extremely obscure, are interesting.

A very useful word today. Would that it were known. The dictionary definition might seem positive, but the usages seem to show that it’s meant in a negative sense.

tralatitious – passed along from generation to generation [Wordcrafter note: but not in the sense of an heirloom (complimentary) but rather in the negative sense of “dubious received wisdom; fossilized doctrine”.]
June 08, 2008, 14:18
wordcrafter
This year’s winning word:

guerdon – a reward or recompense

Scarlett and Ashley, in Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind:
June 09, 2008, 12:31
wordcrafter
diener – an assistant in a morgue, pathology lab, or other death-oriented facility
(A responsible position but not the boss. Creepy overtones. Think of Frankenstein’s Igor?)
[German Leichendiener, literally “corpse servant”.]

So few dictionaries have this word – it’s not even in OED – that I provide a definition of my own writing, based on usages. For example:

June 10, 2008, 14:21
wordcrafter
piacular – making expiation or atonement (also, rarely: calling for expiation; sinful, wicked, culpable)
June 11, 2008, 08:57
wordcrafter
We’ve all seen this kind of Japanese-style gateway. But what do you call it? A torii.

(When I saw the word I thought it was simply the plural of torus – a donut shape [further meanings in other fields]. I was mistaken: that plural is tori, not torii.)

torii – a Japanese gateway of light construction, often put at the entrance to a Shinto shrine. two posts and two crosspieces. [from Japanese for “bird’s nest”]

Our quote emphasizes the friendly, welcoming informality of a torii.

June 11, 2008, 19:17
wordcrafter
senectitude – old age; elderliness
June 12, 2008, 20:57
wordcrafter
tonneau:
– the rear seating compartment, in a car with separate front/rear compartments (e.g., a London cab);
– the open area behind the front rear seats, in an open-top car (e.g., a two-seater sports car) or a pick-up truck

Here’s a memorable scene in a tonneau. I vaguely recall such a scene in some movie (James Bond?) Can anyone recall it?