Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love gang agley Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
On our bulletin board we've been playing around with the word agley (= awry or askew), as in, "The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley." So it seems appropriate to follow last week's theme, about romantic love, with a theme of words about love gone agley. We'll rely heavily on Depraved and Insulting English by Novobatzky and Shea.

imparlibidinous - pertaining to inequality of desire between two people

A state of affairs we know all too well. When you ask the woman of your dreams out on a date and she fleers at you, simply explain to your friends that the two of you were imparlibinous.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aha, wordcrafter, we now know that you must be a man! Wink

After all, there is the similar situation where we women wait by the phone, pining for our man to call us.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
A good thought, Kalleh, but it was Novobatzky and Shea who provided that example-sentence, which I've somewhat cleaned up.

anteric - seeking vengeance for slighted love

In an anteric rage, Sarah decided that slashing the tires of her ex-boyfriend's pick-up truck just wasn't enough. So she set it ablaze and flung herself on top of it.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Our Sarah??

She never struck me as the Jim Morrison type!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
anaxiphilia - the act of falling in love with the wrong person

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
synechthry - the state of living together in a loveless marriage

Say N&S: Yes, it has a daunting spelling, but simply knowing that there is a word out there to encapsulate an all-too-common situation is worth something, isn't it?

"Insisting that they were staying together 'for the children's sake,' the Dorchesters spent twenty-five years gritting their teeth at each other in synechthry and raised a find brood, all of whom eventually graduated to lovelless marriages of their own."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Our Sarah??

She never struck me as the Jim Morrison type!

Not me! Eek

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
anagapesis - a loss of feelings for one formerly loved.

Again, I take Novobatzky and Shea's witty explanation.

This is a terrible yet useful word. Far all those who at one time or another have clumsily and ineffectually struggled to say, " I don't love you anymore," without having to actually say it, don't be fooled: "I love you, I'm just not in love with you" is a horrible thing to tell somebody. To avoid this and other clichés, it is better to tell one's ex-to-be that one has been stricken with anagapesis – then get the hell out of there before he or she reaches for the dictionary.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
liffy - to seduce a woman with promises of fidelity, and then desert her

N&S: "George wanted nothing so much as to be able to liffy every woman that he met."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here we go again--another word about men rebuking women!

I wonder if there is a word for Meg Ryan's great scene in "When Harry Met Sally". Does anyone know?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if there is a word for Meg Ryan's great scene in "When Harry Met Sally". Does anyone know?

Faking it?

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Kalleh feels that the words offered here are slanted toward men rebuking women. She muses, "I wonder if there is a word for Meg Ryan's great scene in 'When Harry Met Sally'.",

Though there should be, I know of no such word more formal than 'faking it'. But to redress any female/male imbalance, I'll offer two words today to end this weekly theme.

artamesia – sexual dissatisfaction in a woman due to the premature climax of her partner.
It is a beautiful thing that a word exists for this all-to-common occurrence.

We all know that woman has to kiss many frogs before she finds her prince. Or shall we say that she must endure repeated amplexus?
amplexus – the mating embrace of a toad or a frog
A technical word with fine potential for figurative use

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Awww, wordcrafter, thanks! Wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
_artamesia_ – sexual dissatisfaction in a woman due to the premature climax of her partner.
It is a beautiful thing that a word exists for this all-to-common occurrence.

Speak for yourself, W.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post