Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words from Heinlein

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/6351016624

January 15, 2007, 18:57
wordcrafter
Words from Heinlein
Yesterday's word was coined by science fiction writer Robert Heinlein.

Sometimes I wonder whether Heinlein kept lists of oddball words to deploy in his writings. This week we'll enjoy some of his words.

obstipate – to constipate severely

Heinlein has set the scene at a university party.
January 15, 2007, 20:01
goofy
Which book is that from?
January 15, 2007, 20:52
Kalleh
Hmmm, I've never heard of it in medicine. Yet, I have seen some overeducated, obstipated, pedantic ignoramuses in medicine. Wink
January 16, 2007, 06:53
Hic et ubique
some overeducated, obstipated, pedantic ignoramuses

Or is it ignorami? Wink
January 16, 2007, 07:09
zmježd
ignoramuses

I'm sure we've talked about this before, but ignoramus is a verb in Latin, 'we do not know', and, as such, it is already plural. Many, seeing the -us at the end and thinking it is a second declension masculine noun, try to replace that ending with -i for the nominative plural ending. The real breakdown into morphemes is ignora- (verbal root) + -mus (first person plural ending).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 16, 2007, 14:21
wordcrafter
Following yesterday's quote, Heinlein uses a technical term figuratively, to describe two 'combustible' characters brought together at the party.

hypergolic – igniting or exploding spontaneously (without external spark) when the components come into contact [said esp. of rocket fuel]Heinlein scatters interesting words throughout his books, but unusual ones, and especially thoroughly oddball ones, tend to cluster in the early pages. (For example, in the first seven pages of The Number of the Beast you'll find both 'obstipated' and 'hypergolic' – along with 'cantilevering', 'amphigory', 'genetohematologist', 'hyperbole', and 'pheromone' – and the heroine comments, "Gosh, what big words you know, Mister," and "I like your hair-splitting games with words.") To me this evidences that Heinlein made a conscious effort to incorporate curiosities of vocabulary.
January 16, 2007, 15:42
Seanahan
For those of you who have read Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land and maybe Starship Troopers , you'll find that Number of the Beast is certainly one of his lesser works. I've read quite a few, but this one is only readable as a guilty pleasure, and towards the ending it is downright awful.
January 16, 2007, 16:24
wordcrafter
Agreed, sean, although I'd say it hits the skids a good deal earlier.

But it's an easy source for words for me!
January 17, 2007, 12:09
wordcrafter
Heinlein defines today's word for us. From the same book:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
January 18, 2007, 12:07
wordcrafter
A current thread on our board is titled "Blue Blood". Today's word refers to blue blood of a different sort.

hemocyanin – a bluish, copper-containing protein with an oxygen-carrying function similar to that of hemoglobin
January 19, 2007, 17:38
shufitz
quote:
"Hemocyanin, I think," she said calmly. … "Alien. The largest terrestrial fauna with that method of oxygen transport is a lobster."
Oh yeah? Isn't an octopus larger than a lobster? Wink (And I wonder about a giant squid.)

A little research reveals that there's also hemerythrin and hemovanadin.
January 19, 2007, 19:33
wordcrafter
Oops! I neglected to mention that yesterday's quote came from The Number of the Beast. Today's is from Stranger in a Strange Land.

lettre de cachet – a warrant issued for the imprisonment of a person without trial, at the pleasure of the monarch

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
January 20, 2007, 16:37
wordcrafter
heterodyne – to combine (radio waves) to produce a new frequency equal to the sum or difference of the two [Heinlein uses this figuratively]
atavism – the return of a trait or behavior after a period of absence; throwback [a previous word of the day, noted here]
January 21, 2007, 20:29
wordcrafter
contretemps – an unforeseen event that disrupts the normal course of things
legerdemain1. sleight of hand 2. trickery, deception, hocus-pocus