Wordcraft Community Home Page
Collections and collectors

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/6841012384

August 08, 2007, 08:49
wordcrafter
Collections and collectors
This week we'll look at words of the many collecting hobbies folks have. As is our tradition, we begin with a word that also fits last week's theme of AEIOU words.

exonumia – items, as tokens or medals, that resemble money but are not intended to circulate as money
Some sources say that the term was coined (no pun intended) in 1960 by Russ Rulau. OED's first citation is from 1962.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
August 09, 2007, 07:55
wordcrafter
cartophily - the collection of trade cards
(sometimes defined as "the collection of cigarette cards," which is the largest single category)
August 10, 2007, 09:49
wordcrafter
scriptophily - the collecting by hobbyists of old stock certificates and bonds of defunct companies, that have no intrinsic value other than their aesthetic appeal or relative rarity

Several quotes today, explaining the market.
August 10, 2007, 10:08
Robert Arvanitis
An intriguing question on this week's topic (from http://mbumby.livejournal.com/27278.html?thread=78734)

"So if coin collecting is numismaty, and stamp collecting is philately, and butterfly collecting is lepidoptary, what is spouse collecting?"

RJA
August 10, 2007, 23:38
wordcrafter
deltiology – the collection of postcards
[from Greek for a small writing tablet]
August 11, 2007, 22:19
wordcrafter
rariora – rare collectors'-itemsBonus word:
Wundercammer
– a chamber or cabinet of wonders; spec. a place exhibiting the collection of a connoisseur of curiosities, such as became common from the late Renaissance onwards
August 12, 2007, 05:37
Robert Arvanitis
Wonderful offerings, wordcrafter. I am entering them all in my chrestomathy.

RJA
August 12, 2007, 07:43
zmježd
Wunderkammer

I do so love going to old and small provincial mouseums, because of the happenstance quality of their collections.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 12, 2007, 19:15
Kalleh
quote:
deltiology – the collection of postcards
[from Greek for a small writing tablet]

Any relation to "deltoid?"
August 12, 2007, 21:39
wordcrafter
ephemera – items of short-lived interest or usefulness, especially those that later acquire value to collectors
[Greek, 'things lasting only a day'. Think of such collectibles as ticket stubs or programs from a World's Fair or other big event.]

We illustrate both the general use and the collectors' use.
August 12, 2007, 22:55
neveu
David Sinkler of Uncle Mame's once told me that authentic milk cartons from the 1970s with pictures of missing kids on them are now quite valuable.
August 13, 2007, 02:23
BobHale
wordcrafter, I know how thoroughly you research this. Have you come across a word for someone like Alex Jordan - A word for "a collector of collections"?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 14, 2007, 06:57
wordcrafter
phillumenist – a collector of matchbox or matchbook labels
August 14, 2007, 07:21
Robert Arvanitis
The collectible is limited, I suppose, only by the range of one's vice(s).

I've seen CEOs with framed golf balls, from all the courses they've played ( http://www.americansportscollectibles.com/20-Ball-Golf-Ball-Case.jpg)

I've saved interesting cigar bands, as well as the caps from unusual beers.

To the earlier question on "a collector of collections," might we call that person an
"ana-ianist?"

RJA
August 14, 2007, 07:50
arnie
quote:
phillumenist

I rather like the Dutch version of this word. It has a certain ring: luciferdoosjesverzamelaar (male), or luciferdoosjesverzamelaarster (female).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 14, 2007, 20:07
wordcrafter
philography – the collecting of autographs, esp. those of famous persons
Today's quotes concern autograph forgery.Bonus word:
chirography
– handwriting; penmanship
A previous word-of-the-day; see here.