Wordcraft Community Home Page
Logic, Reasoning and Thought

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7201015525

February 26, 2008, 20:04
wordcrafter
Logic, Reasoning and Thought
This week’s theme is Logic, Reasoning and Thought.

Our first word also fits last week’s theme of “pregnancy words”. Coming from Greek for midwife and to act as midwife, it can be thought of as “giving birth, or drawing out, to the student’s innate knowledge.” A good example might be a writing teacher, helping the student to bring forth the student’s own story.

maieutic – a technique in which a teacher (rather than giving information) asks a series of questions to draw out, from the student, ideas previously latent in the student’s mind
[A more common word for this is Socratic. A few sources also give hebamic as a rare word of the same meaning.]
February 27, 2008, 04:30
Timbo
So that's what I've been doing all these years Big Grin
February 27, 2008, 19:10
wordcrafter
We have a delicious word today, and I’m surprised how rarely it’s used

chop logic – convoluted, contentious and deceptive argument

The dictionaries have it as choplogic or chop-logic, but it’s more commonly written as two words, as above.
February 28, 2008, 05:47
walrus
Now it makes sense! I received my "Word Of The Day" e-mail this morning and "chop logic" was listed under the theme of "Pregnancy, from Z to A." I just couldn't make the connection at the time.

I can't say I've ever heard chop logic used before. An interest word. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

walrus Smile
February 28, 2008, 06:03
arnie
Surely it can't be a word of the day as "chop logic" is two words? Or is that just chopping logic? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 28, 2008, 06:55
walrus
I would agree, but I didn't send out the "Word Of The Day" e-mail as follows;

Theme: Pregnancy, from Z to A

We have a delicious word today, and I'm surprised how rarely it's used

chop logic – convoluted, contentious and deceptive argument

The dictionaries have it as choplogic or chop-logic, but it's more commonly written as two words, as above.

But how can one explain the hypocrisy, chop logic and outright lying now being mustered daily in defence of hunting with hounds?
– The Guardian, Dec. 28, 2000

Judge Jackson showed little patience for Microsoft's dismissive attitude toward the case and its wordplay about integrated products, and put the company's lawyers in their place after they played chop logic – what one newspaper called "compliance with a raised middle finger" – with his preliminary injunction …
– Wall Street Jourrnal, March 9, 1999
February 28, 2008, 07:02
wordcrafter
Oops!

< Wordcrafter, wiping egg off face >
February 28, 2008, 13:56
walrus
Wordcrafter: It happens, but you got me good this morning. I sat there quite stupefied trying to make the connection.

Smile
February 28, 2008, 16:24
wordcrafter
< mental image of a puzzled walrus, posed like Rodin's The Thinker >

Honoring William F. Buckley, Jr., he of the elephantine vocabulary, who passed away yesterday, we quote his wisdom.

paralogism – an illogical argument, a fallacy, esp. one which the reasoner is unconscious of or believes to be logical (contrast sophism)
February 29, 2008, 17:45
Robert Arvanitis
A quote from William F. Buckley, on language:

"Some words, Dwight Macdonald wrote in a celebrated review of Webster's Third, belong in the 'zoo section' of the dictionary. I.e., the words do exist, but the need for them is so remote, you can-and should-keep them caged up in the zoo until it is absolutely necessary to take one out, which may be never. I know a word that describes the feeling you have in the roof of your mouth when peanut butters sticks to it, but I will never use it; in fact, I decline to disclose it."

RJA
February 29, 2008, 20:13
wordcrafter
Yesterday’s word paralogism means an illogical argument, made without intending or being aware that one is being illogical. In contrast:

sophism – a specious but fallacious argument, used either deliberately to deceive or mislead, or to display ingenuity in reasoning

Often used to describe the positions of a politician with whom one disagrees. I had a bit of difficulty finding a quote that wouldn't be political 'fighiting words'!
February 29, 2008, 20:15
wordcrafter
Yesterday’s word paralogism means an illogical argument, made without intending or being aware that one is being illogical. In contrast:

sophism – a specious but fallacious argument, used either deliberately to deceive or mislead, or to display ingenuity in reasoning

Often used to describe the positions of a politician with whom one disagrees. I had a bit of difficulty finding a quote that wouldn't be political 'fighting words'!
February 29, 2008, 20:26
jerry thomas
This brings to mind the If-By-Whiskey rhetorical device...
March 01, 2008, 01:14
Timbo
Sophistry and Casuistry are the bitter bread and butter of tyranny.

Or something.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Timbo,
March 01, 2008, 21:23
wordcrafter
The word induction is much less familiar than its counterpart deduction, but I'd suggest that induction is much more important in real life.

induction – inferring a general law or principle from the particular instances observed
(contrast deduction – drawing a conclusion from a general law or principle already known or assumed; reasoning from generals to particulars)
March 02, 2008, 01:15
neveu
Karl Popper pointed out that one can never prove scientific theories or hypotheses to be true using induction. In his famous example, one might never see a black swan, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. One can however, definitively disprove the hypothesis that all swans are white by producing a single black one. That's ultimately where creationism, for example, fails as a scientific theory: it's not falsifiable. There's no possible experimental output that can't be explained by the intervention of an omnipotent being. There's no way to prove it false, so it's not scientific. Theories that predict anything predict nothing.

Also, check out the number definitions of induction in Wikipedia. Logic, math, electronics, theater, biology, conscription...
March 02, 2008, 19:16
wordcrafter
Today’s word has several meanings. I’ll give the two I think are most important.

dialectic
– the tension between two interacting/conflicting forces
– the art or practice of reaching truth by the exchange of logical arguments
March 03, 2008, 18:28
wordcrafter
We end our “words about logic” with one about the logic of language.

hypercorrection – a language misuse (spelling, pronunciation, grammar) made by analogy to a form that is thought to be “better speaking”

The classic example is the speaker who, having been told that his statement “John and me need to eat” should have been “John and I”, then carefully says, "OK, then give John and I something to eat.” Another example is an overdone attempt to avoid the mispronunciations of one’s ethnic group:Would another example be the British use of -ise rather than -ize, an in “civilise” rather than “civilize”?

As one authority puts it, “Sometimes people strive to abide by the strictest etiquette, but in the process behave inappropriately.”¹ But this is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put!

¹ Bryan A. Garner, Dictionary of Modern American Usage (as quoted by David Foster Wallace, Consider the Lobster: and Other Esssays)
March 04, 2008, 03:46
arnie
quote:
Would another example be the British use of -ise rather than -ize, an in “civilise” rather than “civilize”?

No. It's derived from the French civiliser.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 04, 2008, 04:37
Royston
I thought the reason for the -ise and -ize differences was related to whether the root of the word in question came from Greek (-ize) or Latin (-ise). The Latin roots also come to us through other "latin" languages such as French, of course.

It's a misconception that the UK uses -ise while the US uses -ize. Until comparatively recently, the OED (and the Times newspaper) were in favour of -ize wherever appropriate.

I like to use -ize just to wind people up.
March 04, 2008, 07:22
arnie
Words from drawn directly from the French (via Greek/Latin or not) usually have an -ise suffix as the original words used a 's'

Words taken directly from the Greek should, however, use -ize although certain style guides disagree and prefer a blanket 'z'; others prefer a blanket -ise.

I have an acquaintance who uses -ize similarly; he'll even spell words like wise as wize.

'He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.'

March 04, 2008, 15:34
Duncan Howell
Smile This week I just happen to be reading Manchester on Churchill on hypercorrection:
"And he despised pedants. A junior civil servant had tortuously reworded a sentence to avoid ending with a preposition. The prime minister scrawled across the page: 'This is nonsense up with which I will not put.'"
-William Manchester, The Last Lion (Toronto: Little, Brown & Co.,1983)31.