Wordcraft Community Home Page
Animating Adjectives

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7391022874

July 17, 2007, 10:14
wordcrafter
Animating Adjectives
This week we look at some adjectives to spice up conversation (not so rare as to be obscure to the hearer, but not so common as to be ordinary).

We start with one that has a spicy meaning. But the figurative sense is much more attractive.

piquant – (accent on first syllable)
1. of pleasantly sharp (esp. spicy) taste (“crisp, piquant flavor and fragrance” – Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook)
2. pleasantly stimulating or exciting; engagingly provocative; also : having a lively arch charm
[French, 'stinging, pricking'.]For words interestingly akin to this (pique and turnpike), see below.
July 17, 2007, 10:19
wordcrafter
From the same 'pricking' root:

pique – a feeling of wounded pride (verb: 1. to cause resentment 2. to provoke; arouse: to pique one's curiosity

pike – a kind of spear
pike – a certain large freshwater fish [ probably referring to its long, pointed jaw]

turnpike – originally, a spike barrier obstucting a road, as a defense [Note: a pricking spike might seem related to pike, but I can find no connection.] Later, turnpike came to mean 'a tollbooth obstructing a road', the road coming to be called a 'turnpike road', and then simply a 'turnpike'.
July 18, 2007, 07:27
wordcrafter
frenetic – frenzied; fast and energetic in a wild and uncontrolled way
[traces back to Greek phrenitis 'delirium']
July 19, 2007, 12:26
wordcrafter
I like today’s quotes for obstreperous. (In them we'll also see turgid, but we’ll save that word for another theme where we’ll try to distinguish turgid, torbid and tumid. Not to mention torpid. Smile )

obstreperous1. noisily and stubbornly defiant 2. aggressively boisterous
July 21, 2007, 07:54
wordcrafter
mordant (or mordacious) – (especially of humor) caustic; biting; sharply sarcastic (also has noun senses)
[from Latin mordere 'to bite']
July 22, 2007, 08:50
wordcrafter
I've fallen behind, so today you get two words as partial catch-up.

salubrious – health-giving; healthy

timorous – timid; or (as in final quote) expressing timidity
July 23, 2007, 12:52
wordcrafter
strident - 1. loud, harsh and grating 2. presenting a point of view in an excessively forceful way
[form Latin for 'to creak']

The former is the original meaning, and to my surprise seems to be more common than the latter, figurative sense. We illustrate each, and end with a third quote which interestingly combines both senses.