Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    articulation agreements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

articulation agreements Login/Join

posted
I just learned that "an articulation agreement is an officially approved agreement that matches coursework between schools", that is, which courses transfer. Any idea where this term comes from? What is articulating or being articulated?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Course articulation is distinct from the process of acceptance by one institution of earned credit, from another institution, as applicable towards its degree requirements, i.e. "transferring credit". (link)
I'd never heard of the term before either. Earliest citation I found on Google Books is 1911 (link). I think it might be that the two institutions come to an agrement of how they might be joined. Let us know if you find a discussion of its origins.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Having worked in higher ed for 26 years, I have heard the term "articulation agreement" used to describe written agreements between two-year community colleges (which offer associate's degrees) with four-year colleges and universities in their vicinity. The agreements generally state that a student from the community college who completes a specific (usually liberal arts) curriculum with at least a 3.0 GPA will be guaranteed admission to the four-year institution in order to complete the last two years in a bachelor's program there.

I think "articulation" is used in the sense that the educational program for these students is segmented--one half is here, the other is there--just as an articulated bus goes around corners in two sections. It allows students to make that turn without having everything fall apart.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
It allows students to make that turn without having everything fall apart.

What happens if they jackknife?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah--too bad, so sad--no guarantees with ye olde articulation agreement! You have to drive carefully and well!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just learned that "an articulation agreement is an officially approved agreement that matches coursework between schools", that is, which courses transfer.
We use it all the time in nursing programs. There are articulation agreements as Wordmatic mentioned, but also between LPN and RN programs or even between like programs (baccalaureate, master's or associate degree) within states. Legislators like to see "seamless" transfers within their states.

It's an interesting question, neveu. I have always wondered where the term had developed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post