Wordcraft Community Home Page
Rip Van Winkle

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7511034494

September 23, 2007, 17:38
wordcrafter
Rip Van Winkle
I’ve been reading Washington Irving (1783-1859), “the first American writer to excite a worldwide interest through his stories” [blurb], and I particularly enjoyed his Rip Van Winkle. The tale takes place in the last half of the 18th century, and its setting isweathercock – a weathervane shaped like a rooster (technically, shaped like a cockerel – a young domestic cock)

Also used to mean something very changeable or fickle:
September 24, 2007, 01:05
Richard English
quote:
weathercock – a weathervane shaped like a rooster (technically, shaped like a cockerel – a young domestic cock)

I'm surprised it's not known as a "weatherrooster" in the USA Wink

Richard English
September 24, 2007, 07:49
zmježd
"weatherrooster"

Actually, it's more commonly known as a weathervane as per wordcrafter's definition. Irving wrote a long time ago.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
September 24, 2007, 08:12
wordnerd
I worder why it became customary to use a rooster-figure as the decoration on a weathervane.

OED comments, "Cf. Du. weerhaan, G. wetterhahn, Sw. väder-, Da. veirhane." I'm not familiar with those tongues, but could they be speaking of a hen rather than of a cock?
September 24, 2007, 08:21
zmježd
German Hahn is 'cock, rooster; stop-cock', which I would imagine is related to English hen which in German is Henne 'hen; biddy'. Wasserhahn is 'faucet, tap'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
September 24, 2007, 09:34
Richard English
A cock is certainly a kind of tap - not even a stop-cock - although that is the most commonly encountered name of a "plumbing" cock in the UK.

Richard English
September 24, 2007, 09:35
Richard English
quote:
Actually, it's more commonly known as a weathervane as per wordcrafter's definition. Irving wrote a long time ago.

Wneh writing I would probably use "weathervane" to describe any such device and "weathercock" to describe one that was a cock. But when speaking I would probably call them all weathercocks.

Richard English
September 24, 2007, 20:32
wordcrafter
We have our setting. What sort of person was Rip, our main character?obsequious – servilely obedient or attentive; fawning [One source say to think of ‘kiss-ass’.]
[Latin ob "after" + sequi "follow" (as in sequel)]
September 25, 2007, 21:26
wordcrafter
curtain lecture – a wife’s private reprimand to her husband
[from originally being given behind the bed-curtains}

The author, having noted that "men are most apt to be obsequious and conciliating abroad, who are under the discipline of shrews at home," continues the thought with nice irony.Bonus words:
malleable
– easily controlled or influenced; tractable (also, able to adjust to changing circumstances; adaptable)
[Latin malleus "hammer" (as in mallet). In science, a malleable metal is one that can be hammered or pounded into thin sheets. Contrast: a ductile metal can be stretched out into thin wire.]
pliant – (noun: pliancy) easily influenced or swayed; pliable
[As a technical word concerning materials: flexible; supple; able to be bent or folded easily and without breaking]
September 26, 2007, 21:49
wordcrafter
Rip, besides being hen-pecked, was characterized by … assiduity – constant or close attention to what one is doing (note: the adjective form, assiduous, is much more common)

"Lazy" and "henpecked" is an unhappy combination, as the author notes. I especially like his last sentence.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
September 28, 2007, 08:11
wordcrafter
Rip's son was exactly the same sort of good-for-nothing:gallligaskins – loose trousers
(also, a kind of loosely-fitting hose or breeches worn in the 16th and 17th centuries)

And indeed Rip's son was, in adulthood, very like his father. The author, so noting, makes an interesting noun-use of the familiar word "ditto".
September 29, 2007, 07:15
wordcrafter
Ah, an unhappy marriage. "Times grew worse and worse with Rip Van Winkle as years of matrimony rolled on; a tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use."

But then Rip, wandering through the woods one fine day, comes upon a stranger and eagerly assists him. Why so eager? Perhaps because beer is involved!alacrity – brisk eagerness or enthusiasm

Bonus word: clamber – to climb awkwardly and laboriously
September 29, 2007, 20:41
wordcrafter
Rip becomes drunk and falls asleep. Upon waking he returns to his village, but finds it very different and very confusing.Indeed, things have changed, for Rip has been asleep for twenty years!

phlegm1. sluggishness of temperament 2. calm self-possession; equanimity (more common is the medical sense: thick, sticky, stringy respiratory mucus, as during a cold)

Babylonish – Babel-like, confused in language (among other meanings)

Here's a nice further quote, from 1816 and relevant to our interests: "This is the kind of Babylonish lexicography of Johnson's Dictionary, which gives twenty-four meanings, or shadows of meaning, to the word from."