Wordcraft Community Home Page
Boo! for Halloween

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7551065162

October 20, 2005, 10:07
wordcrafter
Boo! for Halloween
I like to have a special theme for Halloween, the time for ghouls, ghosts and other things that sneak up behind you and yell, "Boo!" What could be more appropriate than a theme of 'boo' words? Some even have a meaning that is appropriately chilling for Halloween. For example:

bugaboo – 1. a bogeyman to frighten children. 2a. a recurring or persistent problem; 2b. a subject of anxious (and typically excessive) concern
October 21, 2005, 09:22
wordcrafter
Your children have grown, and the last has finally left the home and off to college. It is bittersweet, but you have adjusted to having the TV available, to the car at your free disposal, to evenings free from worry when it is late and a child is still out, and to the delicious absence of popular "music"! These joys are now part of your settled life-style.

And then, at Halloween, there appears at your door the most horrifying monster imaginable.

boomerang kid – a young person past high-school age who, after college or a period of independence, returns to live in the parental home
October 21, 2005, 20:24
Kalleh
Great theme! I wish I would have thought about it for Wordcraftjr.

quote:
And then, at Halloween, there appears at your door the most horrifying monster imaginable.

Well, we had a son who came back for a year or so, and I completely enjoyed having him home. I think it all depends.
October 22, 2005, 03:19
Caterwauller
quote:
I wish I would have thought about it for Wordcraftjr.

There's still plenty of time, Kalleh. Do it next week! You can even borrow words, right? Easy!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
October 24, 2005, 06:58
wordcrafter
Folks overly joyous in their Halloween activities may find themselves in the calaboose.

calaboose – a jail
[from Sp. calabozo "dungeon ", via Louisiana French. Chiefly S & W U.S.]boomslang – a large and dangerous snake, up to 6 feet long and one of the most venomous snakes in the world.

Boomslangs often hide in trees. Makes you a bit nervous about walking under trees as you trick or treat, doesn't it? But most of you can relax: the boomslang is native to southern Africa. By the way, according to J.K. Rowling, shredded boomslang skin is one of the key ingredients of the complicated Polyjuice Poison.
October 24, 2005, 14:52
Kalleh
I bet Martha Stewart had wished she knew about "calaboose." Doesn't it sound a lot more classy to say "calaboose" than "jail" or "prison?" Wink
October 28, 2005, 19:25
Kalleh
I took CW's suggestion and have been doing the "boo" theme on Wordcraftjr (not that they ever read the word-of-the-day threads!). I found this word:

boohai - an out of the way, remote or non-existent place; often in "up the boohai" to mean lost, or "up the boohai shooting pukakas" meaning lost, possibly in the head. (Tsuwm's Dictionary) Has anyone heard of that before?
October 28, 2005, 20:02
wordcrafter
Two delicious terms, coined by H.L. Mencken, which deserve much greater currency:

booboisie – the general public – implies that its members are stupid, uncultured boobs inferior to the speaker
[blend of boob and bourgeoisie]boobocracy – that same public, viewed as a social or political force

Consider the civil servant (there's an oxymoron!) Have you suffered from the governmental bureaucrat who gums up the works with such infuriating laziness or incompetence that one wonders if it might be malicious? Wouldn't boobocrat be a fine term for such a one?
October 28, 2005, 23:13
Trevor C
I was about to say "Surely you mean Hallowe'en", but a quick google seems to suggest I'm somewhat out of date on this one.

Trevor C
October 29, 2005, 20:40
Kalleh
Welcome to Wordcraft, Trevor! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool

I see that Dictionary.com has both spellings of "Halloween," with and without the apostrophe. Why the apostrophe?
November 01, 2005, 09:04
wordcrafter
Our final boo-word provides a transition to our next theme, for it is a toponym – that is, a word derived from a place-name.

boot hill – a graveyard, esp. one whose occupants died in a violent fight (but note 2nd quote)The railroad boomtown of Dodge City, Kansas, founded 1872, was in its earliest years notorious for its violence. "Dodge City has been quoted all over the United States as the most wicked town in existence," reminisced a founder forty years later. In fact, though he himself would "insist that Dodge City was not the worst place on earth", his tongue was probably in his cheek, for he admitted that it was hard to find a worse. ("at last I have heard of a town which was equal to, if not worse than Dodge City").

In early Dodge City not many folk died peaceably of natural causes, in their beds and bedclothes. Those who came to reside in local cemetery had often died in gunfights – that is, fully dressed, "with their boots on". The cemetery thus became known as "boot hill", and the name spread to other wild-west towns.

By the way, Dodge City was the setting of the long-running TV show Gunsmoke.