Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eponyms again

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7771093144

March 07, 2007, 07:37
wordcrafter
Eponyms again
We return to one of my favorite themes: eponyms, or words that came from the proper name of a person, etc.

priapic1. phallic 2. overly concerned with masculinity
[priapism – persistent, usually painful penile erection, esp. from disease rather than arousal]
[ultimately from Greek Priapus, the god of procreation]

I'd thought this was a rare word, but it seems to be much more commonly-used than I had thought. Recent examples:
March 07, 2007, 08:26
Caterwauller
An excellent word to have in one's repertoire for describing errant brothers-in-law or poor drivers. Of course, I'll have to use it in conversation a few times for it to stick (ahem).

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
March 07, 2007, 08:51
zmježd
There's a whole phylum of marine worms, Priapulida, thus named for obvious reasons. Not to be confused with sub-phylum Urochordata, or the so-called sea squirts.

Addendum

Come to think of it, I'm wondering where the fat innkeeper fits in?

[Corrected typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 07, 2007, 17:29
Caterwauller
If you want to know where the worm fits in, ask your wife. Wink

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
March 07, 2007, 22:17
Myth Jellies
I would think calling words that are named after gods and other mythic or legendary creatures, eponyms, a bit problematic. It seems that often the god or creature is named after his/her/its sphere of influence or one of its primary attributes. In some cases there might be a chicken vs. egg condition. Which came first, eros the word or Eros the deity; and how do you know from which the word erotic descended? A similar question perhaps applies to priapic.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
March 08, 2007, 08:01
zmježd
where the worm fits in

Ah, it turns.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 08, 2007, 09:17
wordcrafter
procrustean – acting with mindless and harmful disregard of natural variation or individuality
[Some dictionaries suggest ruthless means to produce conformity. I think of it more as an arbitrary, one-size-fits approach, disregarding individual differences. An attempt to fit all pegs, whether square or round, into square holes.]
[after Procrustes, mythical robber of Attica who seized travelers, tied them to his bed, and to make them fit either stretched their limbs or lopped of their legs]
March 08, 2007, 18:03
stella
Did anyone else crack up over the fat innkeeper? I thought it was the funniest thing I’ve seen for a while. Thanks,zmježd!

Here’s one from Websters (1913):

(priapean) (n.) A species of hexameter verse so constructed as to be divisible into two portions of three feet each, having generally a trochee in the first and the fourth foot, and an amphimacer in the third.

What’s phallic about that? 6 feet? Heh heh.
March 08, 2007, 19:32
zmježd
A species of hexameter verse so constructed as to be divisible into two portions of three feet each, having generally a trochee in the first and the fourth foot, and an amphimacer in the third.

Thanks for that, stella. There's an epigram by Martial that I've always wondered about:

quote:
Accidit infandum nostrae scelus, Aule, puellae;
Amisit lusus deliciasque suas:
Non quales teneri ploravit amica Catulli
Lesbia, nequitiis passeris orba sui,
Vel Stellae cantata meo quas flevit Ianthis,
Cuius in Elysio nigra columba volat:
Lux mea non capitur nugis neque moribus istis,
Nec dominae pectus talia damna movent:
Bis denos puerum numerantem perdidit annos,
Mentula cui nondum sesquipedalis erat.

An unspeakable calamity has chanced to a girl of mine, Aulus:
she has lost her plaything and her darling,
not such a one as Lesbia, the mistress of tender Catullus,
deplored when she was forlorn of her sparrow's roguish tricks,
nor such as Ianthis, sung of by my Stella,
wept for, whose black dove flits in Elysium.
My love is not taken by triffles, nor by such passions as that;
nor do such losses move my mistress' heart:
she has lost a boy just counting twice six years,
whose prick was not yet a foot and a half long.

[Martial. Epigrammata. VII.xiv. translated by Walter C A Ker.]

So, I guess, it could be a play on a quarter of a priapean verse. The Stella in the poem is L. Arruntius Stella, a man.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 09, 2007, 07:04
wordcrafter
The traditional meaning of today's word is "a jinx" (see last quote). But the word has developed a new usage, not yet recognized in the dictionaries, which has become quite common and has persisted over the years. In fact, it seems to be the more common meaning nowadays. Our thanks to Mr Quentin Letts, British news commentator, for bringing it to our attention.

Jonah
1. one who brings ill-fortune to those around him; a jinx
2. a prophet of doom and gloom
March 10, 2007, 07:57
wordcrafter
goliath or Goliath – a giant
[after the Biblical character Goliath, whom David slew]
March 11, 2007, 09:24
wordcrafter
Today, two words (one familiar, one antique) for the price of one.

negus – wine and hot water with sugar and lemon juice and nutmeg
[from Colonel Francis Negus (d. 1732), who reputedly invented this drink]

sandwich – two pieces of bread with a filling between them. (verb: sandwich between: to insert between two people or things)
[John Montagu (1718-92), 4th Earl of Sandwich, who ate cold meat sandwiches so he could eat at the gaming table rather than get up for a proper meal. In his honor, James Cook named the Sandwich Islands, now known as the Hawaiian Islands.]