Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Valentine's Day -- ah, Love
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valentine's Day -- ah, Love Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
In honor of Valentine's Day this week, we will devote our weekly theme to obscure words of sweet romantic love.

And I do mean obscure. Forgive me for not even attempting illustrative quotations this week.

cingulomania - a strong desire to hold a person in your arms

posted Hide Post
quote:
cingulomania - a strong desire to hold a person in your arms

I suffer from this whenever I am away from Amanda! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
typhlobasia - kissing with the eyes closed

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What a great word! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Since any real kissing should be done this way, then this is something that probably everyone succumbs to. Since it ends in "ia" is it a disease?

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I disagree. There's nothing like a long passionate smooch with all four eyes open delving deeply into each other. (One pair, I mean, delving deeply into the other pair, not each eye delving into each of the other three. Love is cock-eyed but that would be overdoing it.)

I guess I'm just basically atyphlobasical.

Then again, ever kiss someone and catch them watching TV? A real morale booster, there! If it's "Masterpiece Theatre," the relationship may be salvagable. Of course, if it's "Gilligan's Island," you can pretty much consider yourself halfway out the door.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
forepleasure – perhaps somewhat richer than foreplay, which usually refers to physical contacts, especially kissing and fondling. Forepleasure by no means excludes those, but it also includes such things as listening to music, reading poems or stories that stimulate affectionate responses, recalling earlier experiences, and even just quietly enjoying togetherness.

What a lovely concept. Special thanks to J.H. Hook, whose book The Grand Panjandrum I have quoted here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you,
Tomorrow I'll miss you

Ah, the Beatles!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you,
Tomorrow I'll miss you

Somehow, that sounds better than "Let's typhlobasiate".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
noeclexis - The practice of selecting a partner based on intellegence and character without regard for physical attractiveness

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
_noeclexis_ - The practice of selecting a partner based on intellegence and character without regard for physical attractiveness

This suggests a future wordcrafter theme to me - words that describe concepts that exist only in theory not in the real world.

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speak only for your gender, my dear! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Speak only for your gender, my dear! Wink
Thank you for saying what was on my mind, Kalleh! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I trust that was not an aspersion upon my degree of physical attractiveness?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, Shoo. It is just my theory that men care much more about the looks of women than women do about men. I might even go so far to say it is a fact (yes, Tinman, you will not agree, I know). Excellent data for the latter is to look at television programs (in the U.S.); the men are frequently quite out of shape, rather plain looking, beginning to age, etc. Women, on the other hand, are gorgeous, young, and with perfect figures.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
sphallolalia - flirtatious talk that does not lead to amorous action

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager and, like most young male teenagers, was spending a substantial amount of my time in trying to persuade teenage girls to share my bed (or probably the back seat of my car) we had a name for those girls who promised a great deal but delivered less than expected.

And it was not "Sphallolalia"!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. It is probably the same unpostable word that American teenagers/men use! Big Grin

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
limerance - the inital exhilarating rush of falling in love; the state of "being in love".

Limerance, unlike 'infatuation', does not carry the connotation of emotional immaturity.
In contrast to "loving someone", limerance implies obsessive thinking about the limerent object and acute longing for reciprocation.

Coined by Dorothy Tennov in her book Love and Limerance (1979; recently reprinted). It will be interesting to see if this word enters the vernacular.

Edited: You're right, CJ; I'd typoed.

[This message was edited by wordcrafter on Sun Feb 16th, 2003 at 8:06.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
...men care _much_ more about the looks of women than women do about men.

In general, yes, but not universally. I have been noeclexotic most of my adult life. Some of the most gorgeous women I've ever been deeply in love with possessed great quantities of beauty that no camera could ever capture.

(My 555th post! I'm five sixths Satanic and rising!)

(Ever notice that our post totals are shown every time we contribute to this section but not in the others? No biggie, just an observation.)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
_Limerance,_ unlike 'infatuation', does not carry the connotation of emotional maturity.

You're saying "infatuation" does carry the connotation of emotional maturity??

I don't think it is mere coincidence that the words "infatuation" and "fatuous" are related.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In honor of the day just passed, I submit the following:

Adultery is the application of democracy to love. H.L. Mencken

Kiss: A word invented by poets as a rhyme for "bliss." Ambrose Bierce

Marriage: A word that should be pronounced, "mirage." Herbert Spencer

Take it from me, marriage isn't a word - it's a sentence." King Vidor

Of the two lots, the woman's lot of perpetual motherhood, and the man's lot of perpetual babyhood, I prefer the man's.

George Bernard Shaw.

Basically my wife was immature. I'd be in the bath and she'd come in and sink my boats.

Woody Allen

And the oldest of the bunch: These impossible women! How they do get around us! The poet was right: can't live with them, or without them.

Aristophanes (Just for you, Muse! ;

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, no I have never noticed that the number of posts only show in this forum. Strange! Eek And, noticing that now (for the first time), I have to congratulate Asa for reaching your 500th post! Wink Big Grin Razz

As far as my comment about men preferring looks over women, I realize that it is a generalization, and those are dangerous. Of course, it's not always the case. I do think that men consider looks more than women do, though, when dating.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
vernalagnia or vernorexia - a romantic mood brought on by spring (also known as Spring Fever)

PS: CJ noted my error in defining 'limerence', which has now been corrected.

posted Hide Post
So, if one is fortunate enough to be experiencing limerance (mature or otherwise), can one be said to be "limerant?" or perhaps "limerantic?" or even "limerable?"

Posts: 11 | Location: Oakland, California, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This theme was posted 3 years ago, but I've always loved it.

Happy Valentine's Day, Wordcrafters! Smile