Wordcraft Community Home Page
More Short Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7901049735

May 12, 2008, 19:50
wordcrafter
More Short Words
I'm feeling lazy this week, so we'll do a theme that's easy for me: short words.

skep – an old-style beehive: dome-shaped, and made of straw or wicker
May 14, 2008, 05:12
wordcrafter
knurl – a small protruding knob or ridge (also as verb)
knurl or knurling is also the name for something we see every day without knowing the word.
knurling – a surface of such bumps, to improve grip
May 14, 2008, 20:16
wordcrafter
cadge – to beg or sponge off of <cadge a free cup of coffee>

The quote is from memory, as I can’t locate it on-line. Christopher Isherwood, I believe.
May 14, 2008, 22:00
tinman
Christopher Isherwood poems
May 16, 2008, 08:20
wordcrafter
Thank you, timnan, and thanks to Richard P. for the same by email.

plage – the beach of a seaside resort
[ultimately from Greek plagios ‘oblique; slanting’; thence to Late Latin to Italian to French (‘beach; shore’) to English]['plage' also has a meaning used mostly in astronomy, but that is a separate word, with the same spelling but different origin. OED says, “In French the two words plage region and plage beach … have been confused since the 16th cent.”]
May 17, 2008, 07:37
wordcrafter
Yesterday’s word plage brought us the beach. Let’s enjoy another day in the water.

lido – a public open-air swimming pool or bathing beach
[from the Lido, a famous beach resort near Venice. The name, Italian for ‘shore’, is related to the word littoral.]
May 18, 2008, 09:14
wordcrafter
ween – (archaic:) to think; suppose; believe

Bonus word: prate – to talk idly and at length (typically about trivial matters); to chatter

The poem providing our quote is both witty and deep. Do take a moment, at the link, to enjoy it in full.
May 18, 2008, 20:32
Kalleh
Don't forget about our recent Bluffing Game word, "lirp," meaning snapping the fingers.

Wordmatic just won the limerick game, her lines 3 and 4 were

"They were harping and carping
and lirping and larping--"

Now "LARP" is a bit of a stretch, as it's an acronym for "live action role-playing," but it fit well enough. However, "lirp" is quite legitimate.
May 19, 2008, 05:34
wordcrafter
You may have heard of Ernest Rutherford (1871 –1937), who won a Nobel Prize and is considered the father of nuclear physics. He grew up in the wild frontier of colonial New Zealand, where his parents raised “a little flax and a lot of children”.ret – to soak (flax, for example) so as to separate the fibers [cognate with to rot]
scutch – to separate the valuable fibers from the woody parts (of flax, for example), by beating