Wordcraft Community Home Page
"-asterous" Pejoratives

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/817107686

August 17, 2004, 06:57
wordcrafter
"-asterous" Pejoratives
We all love the well-chosen insulting, pejorative word. (pejorative: tending to disparage or belittle). A pretender to medical skill is a quack, even if he holds an M.D. degree; an unscrupulous lawyer is a shyster or a pettifogger. What do we call incompetents in other fields of endeavor? I give you this week examples with the handy pejorative suffix -aster, from Latin.

poetaster – a poet who writes insignificant, tawdry or shoddy poetry; an inferior rhymer; a rhymester

The word figures in literary history. From Marchette Chute, Ben Jonson of Westminster (1953):
August 17, 2004, 19:34
wordcrafter
medicaster – a medical charlatan; a quack
August 19, 2004, 06:38
wordcrafter
grammaticaster – a piddling, petty, pedantic grammarian
August 20, 2004, 07:35
wordcrafter
The -aster words could be useful in conversation, though they are extremely rare (some so rare that I cannot even find a modern illustrative quotation). In conversation the hearer would readily understand the meaning, by drawing the subject from the word's first part and the scornful putdown from voice and context.

Shall we resurrect these words? For example, wouldn't politicaster be a fine word to use during the US election campaigns?

politicaster – a petty politician; a pretender or dabbler in politicswitticaster – a witling; i.e., a pretender to wit or smartness
I cannot quote witticaster, but witling quotes show the fine art of invective.
August 20, 2004, 19:01
wordcrafter
philosophaster – a pretender to philosophy

Robert Burton, whom we will meet later, wrote a 1606 play titled Philosophaster. Make what you will of the fact that William Buckley owned a manuscript copy of Philosophaster.

We illustrate that word with a quotation critiquing the poet Wordsworth. You can also enjoy the same critique expressed in sonnet form.
Here is another -aster word for which I have no quotation.
countercaster – a caster of accounts; a reckoner; a bookkeeper (used contemptuously)
August 21, 2004, 17:15
wordcrafter
criticaster – a mean-spirited, contemptable, carping critic
Personally, I think of an ill-mannered puppy yapping and nipping at the heels of his betters.The Goebbels quote is noteworthy, in that 'criticaster' brings up so many google-hits in German that I cannot but believe it's also a German word. Can anyone advise?
August 22, 2004, 13:11
wordcrafter
A call to our readers: While doing this week's theme I've tremendously enjoyed finding robust, red-blooded invective from the Elizabethans and their followers. Surely all would enjoy a theme spending a week on invective from authors of the time, the time of Swift, Donne, Ben Jonson, Pope, and many other wicked wits wielding sharp pens. I do not have enough examples yet, but the hunt continues! Would you be so good as to send to me, at wowod@hotmail.com, any that come to mind? Thank you.

theologaster – a petty or contemptable theologian

We recently met Robert Burton as author of the play Philosophaster. Today's quotation is from his 1921 masterpiece, The Anatomy of Melancholy. Lewellyn Powys called this work "the greatest work of prose of the greatest period of English prose-writing," while the celebrated surgeon William Osler declared it the greatest of medical treatises. And Dr. Johnson, Boswell reports, said it was the only book that he rose early in the morning to read with pleasure.

Note: Burton wrote part of this work in Latin, including this part, and I cannot tell whether this translation was done by Burton himself or by another.
August 23, 2004, 10:51
arnie
quote:
Today's quotation is from his 1921 masterpiece...
To quote the editor of Private Eye magazine: shurely shome mishtake?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 02, 2004, 22:25
wordcrafter
1621, of course.

[mutters at his own stupidity]
September 03, 2004, 09:59
jheem
I was saddened that my favorite -aster word didn't make the grade: oleaster 'wild olvietree, oleaster'.
September 03, 2004, 11:20
Kalleh
That's what I like about our arnie, always keeping us on our toes! Good catch!
September 03, 2004, 12:21
jerry thomas
The sedges haunt their harvest,
In every meadow's nook;
And asters by the brookside
Make asters in the brook.