Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Study Partner Login/Join

posted
I am new to this forum and I have just begun working on my vocabulary. I found a great site that lists two vocabularies a day which you can downloard onto your ipod. Its www.justvocabulary.com. I am looking for a study partner that we can work together. If you are interested please let me know. I have some ideas how we can do it.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Hello smarttech5th and welcome to our site. I hope you enjoy it here.

I did take a quick look at the site but I found myself lost in some of the jargon. For example, "...JustVocabulary's podcast introduces words from the GRE, SAT and TOEFL lists..." What does that mean?

And of course, the fact that I have no ipod is also a problem.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the fact that I have no ipod is also a problem.

Hi Richard,

My intention wasnt to promote that site I just happend to come across it while searching a good site I can use to improve my vocabulary and it wokred out for myself since I was able to put it on my ipod. If you can recommend me another good site which I can use I would be happy to check it out.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to try to give you some advice on improving your vocabulary but can you give us some more info about yourself first so that I can point you in the right direction?
For example your age, your nationality, whether English is your first language, what kind of vocabulary you are looking for (technical, literary, obscure, archaic etc), and so on.
There are many ways, not just the internet, to go about improving your vocabulary but, as an English teacher, I am all too aware that learning the wrong kind of vocabulary is as bad as not learning any.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The GRE is an exam many graduate programs require. Similarly, the SAT is often required by undergraduate programs. TOEFL is an exam for placement of ESL students.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The GRE is an exam many graduate programs require. Similarly, the SAT is often required by undergraduate programs. TOEFL is an exam for placement of ESL students.

Ah. US educational acronyms. No wonder I'd not heard of them. I was thinking they were computer terms ;(

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob

Thank you for your responds

I am 3o's born in the USA but English was a second language to me. I never advanced in my English studies therefore my vocabulary is still elementary level with some high school level. That is why I am unsure where to begin. I bounce from one site to another without a structure. I downloaded all the vocabulary from justvocabulary.com. I am debating if I should focus instead on learning the prefix, roots and suffix from Greek and Latin to build my vocabulary. I am also trying to find a partner that I can do it with. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll give you a fuller answer in the next couple of days but I the first thing I'd have to say is that they best thing to do is read a lot, make a note of any new words and look them up.
Always keep a notebook with you and write down any words that strike you as unusual to check later. And of course invest in the best dictionary that you can afford, a good single volume dictionary is in some respects better than a large multivolume thing like the OED because it has far fewer archaic and low usage words.

I'll give some more suggestions soon.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Study Partner for CCNA

Hi all,

I plan on taking my CCNA exam within the next month or so. Now, the best way to learn, they say, is to 'teach'. So, I am looking for a study partner who is very eager to learn, and is looking to score high on the CCNA. We can create an online study group, sort of, exchanging questions and answers back and forth through E-mail. If you'd be interested, please let me know. It will be a very effective way to study.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christopher6,

posted Hide Post
GRE: Graduate Record Examination; SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test; TOEFL: Teachers of English as a Second Language.

If you live near a university, you should be able to walk into the cafeteria, sit at most any table, and find students in a similar situation.

What is your primary language?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
TOEFL: Teachers of English as a Second Language

I think it's "Test of English as a Foreign Language".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, yeah, you're right, neveu. But then if one pronounces it, it's "devil" in German. Go figure...

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a motivated female study partner online or live around the boston area. I studied aplan books many months ago and now I would like to start from scratch ( go together through kaplan books) and do all the revision and practice exams in 3-4 months

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sophia38,

posted Hide Post
Hello Sophia and welcome to the site.

I'd love to help you but I live in England, not New England Wink

Richard English