Wordcraft Community Home Page
I'm searching for a word to describe....

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/830106681

May 27, 2009, 18:27
LossForWords
I'm searching for a word to describe....
Does a word exist to describe a situation whereby you discuss something, for example purple bicycles, and thereafter you notice many people riding purple bicycles? Importantly, prior to the conversation, you had never seen a purple bike. I realize purple bicycles are a silly example but it illustrates a concept for which I don't have a word.
May 27, 2009, 22:40
wordmatic
deja dit?

Wordmatic
May 28, 2009, 05:38
zmježd
The best nonce word I've read is diegogarcity explained here.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
May 29, 2009, 21:24
DFWandPynchon
That's a good question! I'm sure there is some psychological terminology for the word you're after. Anyone know a psychologist?
May 30, 2009, 02:04
BobHale
I've seen this in a linguistics context somewhere on language log. I believe they call it "the recency illusion".

The tendency to notice things frequently after you first noticed them and therefore believe that they have only recently started to be around, when in fact they were always there but your first notice of them has "sensitised" you to them.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 30, 2009, 05:50
arnie
Yes, Language Log often refers to this, and the related "frequency illusion". Here's one such post, debunking the "Dr Language" column's assertion that the "between you and I" construction has only arisen in the last twenty years: http://158.130.17.5/~myl/langu...archives/002386.html

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 30, 2009, 07:30
<Proofreader>
Last week, as we drove down our main street, I mentioned to my wife that a house was boarded up. She said it had been boarded up since early March. This is a street we use every day and I never noticed the house but now I see it each time we go by.