Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eponyms Once Again

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/8361052555

August 20, 2008, 19:32
wordcrafter
Eponyms Once Again
Our new theme of "Eponyms" begins with one more shadow-word. An early, 1801 quote used this shadow-word along with its older synonym.silhouette – a profile or shadow-outline of the human figure, filled in of a dark colour
from Etienne de Silhouette, the French minister of Finance in 1759, who, to replenish the treasury, exhausted by the costly wars with Britain and Prussia, … inaugurated the strictest economy. His extreme parsimony made him a choice subject for caricature; so that any mode or fashion that was plain and cheap – surtouts without plaits, trousers without pockets – was styled à la Silhouette; and profiles made by tracing the shadow projected by the light of a candle on a sheet of white paper being then much in vogue, having continued to bear the name. [Above definition and history is from Chambers' Encyclopaedia.] Within eight months, Silhouette was driven from office after he proposed harsh measures to fall on the nobles.

Do you remember the old song Silhouettes, by Frank C. Slay Jr. and Bob Crewe?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
August 21, 2008, 19:43
wordcrafter
Barbie doll – a blandly attractive but vacuous young woman
[from the doll]The Barbie Doll itself is the product of a mother’s perceptiveness. Before her debut, the dolls that girls played with were typically infants or young children. But young Barbara Hadler enjoyed putting her dolls into adult role in her play. Her mother Ruth noticed this, conceived the idea of grown-up doll, and sold the idea to reluctant execs at Mattel, where her husband was a co-founder.
August 21, 2008, 19:59
jerry thomas
What is the name of that line of people waiting to buy those cute little dolls ???

Why that, Sir, is the Barbie Queue.
August 22, 2008, 21:27
wordcrafter
It seems to me that today’s word is most often used in the figurative sense noted below. Nonetheless, I’ve found no dictionary that gives anything but the literal meaning.

klieg light1. a powerful carbon-arc lamp, used especially in making movies (It produces an intense light, and made it possible to shoot movies indoors.)
2. figuratively: intense and unpleasant scrutiny
[after brothers John H. Kliegl and Anton Tiberius Kliegl, German-born American lighting experts]
August 23, 2008, 03:15
Richard English
quote:
It seems to me that today’s word is most often used in the figurative sense noted below. Nonetheless, I’ve found no dictionary that gives anything but the literal meaning.

I have never heard of it in a figurative sense. It seems to be the equivalent of the expression we would use, "in the limelight".

Limelight is an older technology, using an oxyhydrogen flame to raise a cylinder of lime (calcium oxide) to incandescence.

Richard English
August 23, 2008, 17:01
wordcrafter
ritzy – elegant; fancy
[after the Ritz hotels, established by César Ritz (1850–1918), Swiss hotelier]
Note: I’d say the word implies a smug superiority, “looking down one’s nose”. The dictionaries do not mention this.
August 23, 2008, 17:27
<Proofreader>
quote:
the word implies a smug superiority, “looking down one’s nose”.

Putting on the Ritz is one way of describing it. I tried to link to Peter Boyle's rendition in Young Frankenstein but was unsuccessful.
August 24, 2008, 16:30
wordcrafter
As long as we're talking about the world of the ritzy …

Raffles – a ‘gentleman thief’; an educated or upper-class man who engages in discreet larceny [Wordcrafter note: perhaps it also means one who thus steals from the upper class?]
[Arthur J. Raffles, fictitious hero of English writer E. W. Hornung (1866-1921). I picture the sort of fellow who, in a movie, might be played by Gary Grant]
August 25, 2008, 16:21
wordcrafter
The quotes for today’s word give the flavor more than the definition can, and they show why this word is more useful than you might imagine from the definition alone.

Zelig – a chameleon-like person always manages to be present everywhere
[after Leonard Zelig, hero of the 1983 movie Zelig by Woody Allen]
August 26, 2008, 01:04
Valentine
It seems to me that Eichenwald uses the word correctly, and Singer does not.

What does it mean to be "like the Zelig"?
August 26, 2008, 01:21
Richard English
quote:
Raffles – a ‘gentleman thief’;

Does anyone happen to know whether Hornung was inspired by the Raffles Hotel in Singapore (named after Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore).

Many men of letters have stayed at The Raffles, that's for sure.

Richard English
August 26, 2008, 01:45
Valentine
quote:
I picture the sort of fellow who, in a movie, might be played by Gary Grant

Or by Ronald Colman, or even John Barrymore.
August 26, 2008, 03:56
arnie
quote:
Does anyone happen to know whether Hornung was inspired by the Raffles Hotel in Singapore (named after Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore).

I doubt it. Hornung, as a Victorian gentleman, must have been aware of the part played by Sir Stamford in the founding of Singapore, and may possibly have named his character after him, but I'd say it's unlikely that he'd name him after the hotel.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 26, 2008, 12:26
KB
BTW, did anyone else notice he got the old actor's name wrong? Mr Grant has one of the two spellings of /kair-ee/ supposedly reserved for males, his based on the the Celtic cairn. The other ("Kerry", dark-haired) has recently been usurped, though, and the actor's "Cary" seems to be the sole hold-out, if only due to strict lack of use for modern children.
August 26, 2008, 13:49
wordcrafter
My apologies, KB. Thank you for your eagle eye.

I had a word in mind for today, but today’s newspaper changed my choice, because a single sentence there presents us with three eponyms! We have the non-word the writer used by mistake, the fancy word he intended, and the name of that sort of error.

Recall the Greek fable of Icarus, who flew and fled from an island prison on wings made of wax, but flew too close to the sun, and fell to a watery death when his wings melted.Icarusian – flying too high to be sustained [used in the quote]
[Not a valid “word”, according to OED. ‘Icarian’ was probably intended. But it wouldn’t quite fit, because the author does not mean to imply ‘dangerously’ high or ‘ruinously’ high.]

Icarian – soaring too high for safety; applying to ambitious or presumptuous acts which end in failure or ruin (a previous word-of-the-day)

malaprop – ludicrous misuse of a word, especially by confusion with one of similar sound. [In my judgment, it must be a misuse in a failed attempt to be erudite]
[Mrs. Malaprop, character in a who was prone to such errors (i.e. "contagious countries" for "contiguous countries"). a previous word-of-the-day; see here and qualifications following it.]