Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    The best way to learn new words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best way to learn new words Login/Join

posted
Hi everybody!

First of all, I think it's great that I found this website. A forum on vocabulary only -- how cool is that.

I'm finishing my Bachelor's and I'm preparing the the GRE. Unfortunately -- or is it fortunately Smile -- the GRE is heavily dependent on your vocabulary. So, what's the best way to learn new words. How many per day? 5? 10? 50? Flashcards? Etymology? I'm not sure.

I've been using vocabularycoach.com and number2.com and I just found freerice.com which is waaay cool, but are they are other good ones? Oh, and I don't want to pay oogles of money to use a website, so free website are preferable Smile

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In my experience the best way to learn new words is to use them - either by reading them, hearing them or speaking them. And this website, to which I welcome you, is one of the better ways to practise with words.

Incidentally, if I find a word I don't understand in a passage, I always look it up (after having had a guess!)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I share tv's quandary and agree w Rich most wholeheartedly. I concentate on what I call the Type-2 word, and in answer to tv, one a day is more than sufficient; where Type-1 is the one used in everyday conversation

...but Type-2 is one that often carries a better or more colorful meaning yet which almost everybody knows...

...and Type-3 is the snooty word one woUld wish to avoid

When I encounter a Type-2 I should use more often I write it in a notebook I have propped open next to my PC, or transcribe it to a Post-It, which I stick on the wall above my dresser where I would have to see it at least twice a day. The last entry is "feisty"

...where the Type-1 might be "peppy" and the Type-3, "armigerous"

"Transcribe" incidentally is Type-2 for the Type-1 "write" or "copy"

Join me and tv in our quest to propagate the Type-2

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
But folks, we have to distinguish three kinds of "vocabularies":
  • words one uses in his/her speaking;
  • those used in one's writing; and
  • those understood in one's reading.

tville is concerned with the last one, reading-vocabulary. My answer would depend on the time-span available. tville, how much time do you have?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,
  •  
    Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of shufitz
    posted Hide Post
    One short thought, with more to follow.

I'm no fan of flash-cards, unless you're in a big rush and have to cram. But remember: A word is much easier to learn if you see it in context. So if you're using flash-cards, put a sample sentence on the back, not just the definition. (In fact, I'd bet that the best way is a sample sentence instead of the definition.)

Where to get sample sentences? You could use amazon.com's "search inside the book" feature. Or you could quickly get words-and-sentences by the bunches from wordcraft's archives. (Just cut-and-paste the archives to a wordprocessor, and then eliminate what you don't need.)

Picture of Kalleh
    posted Hide Post
    It has been so long since I've taken the GREs, so is the vocabulary part merely multiple choice questions, like the SAT and ACT tests? If so, I'd think freerice.com would be a great tool to use between hitting the books.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bethree5
    posted Hide Post
    Hello, tvilleguru, & good luck in your studying!

I came across this website just googling, if you can use it.

As to the best method of memorizing new vocabulary, this is a function of your own learning style.
    • For me, the act of writing/ re-writing information commits it to memory-- then I throw away the writing.
    • Posting the information works beautifully for one who tends to take note of the visual details in his environment.
    • I have a son who remembers what he hears, so making & playing tapes would work for him.
    • And: time-consuming but very effective, most find rhythm a terrific help, as one takes advantage of the left brain; words linked to tune stick in one's mind far longer. You might for example record yourself repeating a list of words and their definitions hip-hop style, using some downloaded dnb (DrumNBass) samples.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You know, I find it rather amusing that I found this forum by googling the phrase "best way to learn words"

A small anecdote of some meaning, to be certain. Anyway, I have recently purchased this program called SuperMemo and so far it has done wonders for the rate at which I take on and learn new words. Granted, it's probably not for everyone, and some people probably find their usual methods more than sufficient. I don't want to link to it because I'm not sure if that's acceptable by the etiquette standards of this board, but if anyone is interested, I'm sure they can search for it.

Picture of arnie
    posted Hide Post
    So long as you don't spam the forums, Timbo, I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't post a link to the program - it may help others who come here looking for the same thing as you.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post

Picture of jerry thomas
    posted Hide Post
    Attention Timbo and anyone else who is interested in learning how to make a neat-looking link

1. Copy the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the destination page, then

2. Paste the following, deleting the ** asterisks.

3. Attention Timbo and anyone else who is interested in learning [**url=https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/8421033705?r=4031013735#4031013735] how to make a neat-looking link [/url]

4. Press ENTER

Here's another example.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pearce
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tvilleguru:
    So, what's the best way to learn new words. How many per day?

I endorse the comments of Richard, dalehileman, shufitz etc. We all do it in different ways. I tend to write down on a scrap of paper anything I see that I think I might like to use. The scrap goes into my trouser pocket whence it is frequently retrieved then reinserted. The next step is to try it out, and (in the instance of a fancy or uncommon word) nonchalantly to make it appear as part of your long-established vocabulary. Finally try to use it with skill and discernment. Nothing looks more foolish than a cleverism.
    Incidentally, when writing I try like the plague to eschew unfamiliar acronyms— like GRE, SAT and ACT. Wink
    Good luck.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have been working on a website for this very purpose. It's free and allows users to study only gre words or sat words also. Or study words from other sources. Check it out and let me know what you think: www.onlinevocabquiz.com. I've been thinking of adding a feature to allow educators to create student word lists too.
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.

posted Hide Post
    tending towards the philosophical, which then begs the questions/discussion ... if type 1 words are "everyday" mundane words, type 2 are the more colorful words, and type 3 are the snooty words ... why is it that type 3 words are even placed into the dictionary? if type 2 words are "good enough", what was the motivation to conjure up snooty words in the first place? is shakespear to blame?

quote:
    Originally posted by dalehileman:
    I share tv's quandary and agree w Rich most wholeheartedly. I concentate on what I call the Type-2 word, and in answer to tv, one a day is more than sufficient; where Type-1 is the one used in everyday conversation

...but Type-2 is one that often carries a better or more colorful meaning yet which almost everybody knows...

...and Type-3 is the snooty word one woUld wish to avoid

When I encounter a Type-2 I should use more often I write it in a notebook I have propped open next to my PC, or transcribe it to a Post-It, which I stick on the wall above my dresser where I would have to see it at least twice a day. The last entry is "feisty"

...where the Type-1 might be "peppy" and the Type-3, "armigerous"

"Transcribe" incidentally is Type-2 for the Type-1 "write" or "copy"

Join me and tv in our quest to propagate the Type-2

Posts: 4 | Location: western MassachusettsReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of zmježd
    posted Hide Post
    what was the motivation to conjure up snooty words in the first place? is shakespear to blame?

Hi, filip, and welcome to the asylum. I have never much been happy with Dale's lexical classificatory system. Words exist because the users of language find them convenient. (And, pace the bardolatrous, while Shagsberd is most certainly blameworthy, Dale was the onliest person I ever encountered who found his system useful.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of arnie
    posted Hide Post
    I'm with zmj on this, fjagodzi.

Dale's opinions on most subjects are unusual, to say the least, and I think most members of Wordcraft disagree with his taxonomy. True, there are some inkhorn words that should never have seen the light of day, but to people such as us, who take delight in words, we would never call all such words "snooty".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Funny I also found this site by searching "Best way to learn new words" on Google.

Picture of shufitz
    posted Hide Post
    Well, come join us, Mr./Ms. Epistemologist. Love your name!

posted Hide Post
    I found this site called www.vocabularywiki.com that has lots of great free information. Smile

posted Hide Post
    Im new here and I love learning new vocabulary, especially Italian! I think these guys have a good tool www.vocabitor.com Anyone else using it?

posted Hide Post
    One of the best way I consider in learning new words is through reading and keeping a word list of all the new words you have encountered while reading. But for a more enhanced vocabulary, I suggest you follow the next 6 must-do's in increasing your vocabulary as quickly as possible.

1. Keep a Dictionary in your Pocket
    2. A Thesaurus is your Friend
    3. Get Some Vocabulary Flash Cards
    4. Make Vocabulary Improvement a Game
    5. Read More Books
    6. Play Crossword Puzzles and Word Games

For related articles and more information on this vocabulary course, visit this link:

http://www.improvingvocabulary...y-quickly/index.html