Wordcraft Community Home Page
Speeches and Orations

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/8521079845

July 11, 2008, 08:11
wordcrafter
Speeches and Orations
On the Independence Day holiday, before the advent of radio and television, folks would gather in the public square and be entertained by patriotic speeches. In that spirit, we follow our Independence Day theme by presenting various types of speeches and orations.

An angry, bitter speech can be called a tirade, a rant, a harangue (negative concepts do seem to develop multiple synonyms!), or a philippic.

philippic – a bitter verbal denunciation, scathing and insulting

An eponym: from the name the Greek’s gave to Demosthenes’ speeches against Philip II of Macedon, 351-341 B.C. The Romans adopted the term for Cicero’s speeches against Marc Antony, 44-43 B.C.
July 11, 2008, 08:25
Robert Arvanitis
Philippic takes its name from the target of the speaker.

Interesting contrast to the word "jeremiad," which refers to original lamenter himself, the prophet Jeremiah.

RJA
July 11, 2008, 19:44
wordcrafter
soapboxverb; informal: to make an impromptu or unofficial public speech, often flamboyantly (noun: a temporary platform used while making that speech)

But most often used in the idiom on (one's) soapbox – speaking one's views passionately or self-importantly.
July 12, 2008, 04:01
arnie
I must say, I can't ever remember seeing or hearing to soapbox used as a verb.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 12, 2008, 21:47
wordcrafter
jeremiad – a speech expressing a bitter lament or a righteous prophecy of doom
panegyric – an oration or eulogy in praise of some person or achievement

A long but thought-provoking Independence-Day quote contrasts two different types of orations.
July 13, 2008, 21:29
wordcrafter
epilogue – a speech at the end of a play, addressed to the audience [also: a short addition at the end of a book, often dealing with the future of its characters]

Shakespeare, speaking (inconsistently?) on epilogues:
July 14, 2008, 04:56
Richard English
quote:
As a historian, I find this trend fascinating. After all, none have ever lived in a period more prosperous, secure and stable than Americans do today. The U.S. is the wealthiest and most powerful country in all of history. There's never been a better time and place to be alive than America in the 21st century.

As political arguments have been barred from this site, I will refrain from pointing out some of the flaws in this statement.

Richard English
July 14, 2008, 06:54
Valentine
A recent New York Times Supplement double crostic has this clue, for an 8 letter word:

Praise delivered oratorically.

I discarded my first thought, encomium, because I didn't necessarily associate the word with oratory.

But it was the word needed.

What say you? Can an encomium be in writing? Or did they perhaps mean that even writings can be oratorical, even though not oral?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valentine,
July 14, 2008, 06:58
BobHale
If you wish to comment,Richard, you could always address your remarks directly to the Wall Street Journal.

Incidentally, in rhetoric, saying something by saying that you are not going to say it, is called apophasis.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 14, 2008, 07:17
zmježd
I didn't necessarily associate the word with oratory.

It's funny, but I only associate the word with writing, because the first time I encountered it was in Erasmus' punning title Encomium Morae (In Praise of Folly / [Thomas] More). The problem probably lies with how one defines rhetoric. Though rhetoric derives from a root meaning 'to speak' (PIE *wer-, whence also word and verb, link), it is now applied equally to speaking and writing effectively and persuasively.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 14, 2008, 21:07
wordcrafter
homily1. a talk on a religious subject, meant to be inspirational rather than giving doctrinal instruction
2. a tedious moralizing talk

Two very different senses, though you can see how one led to the other. Question: when the word is used in the second sense (as in the second quote), is it fair to say that it carries a connotation of being trite, of speaking in clichés?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
July 15, 2008, 20:45
wordcrafter
declamation1. vehement oratory 2. a speech marked by strong feeling; a tirade
[The verb form is to declaim.]

We illustrate by quoting from a Pulitzer-Prize-winning book about the beginnings of the American Revolution.
A declamation can also mean “a recitation delivered as an exercise in rhetoric”. That sense is usually referring to a student’s recitation, but here is another example, from a book near and dear to my heart.Bonus word:
soliloquy
– a speech of one’s thoughts when alone, or regardless of hearers, especially in a play
[Latin solus alone + loqui speak]