Wordcraft Community Home Page
More Portmanteau Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/87010676

February 24, 2009, 07:22
wordcrafter
More Portmanteau Words
A while back we introduced the concept of portmanteau words, formed by merging two word's sounds and meanings (from portmanteau, a two-compartment suitcase), and later had a theme of them. This week we'll present more portmanteau words, starting with a cinerary ("ash") word that also fits last week's "burial" theme.

cremains – the ashes that remain after cremation of a corpse
[blend of cremated and remains]

Here's a recent example showing a sense of humor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
February 24, 2009, 07:41
BobHale
One of my students in class today asked me the meaning of a word. We were looking at various advertising leaflets for local attractions and he was reading one for "Cadbury World" (a museum about chocolate).

The word he had found? It will make instant sense to any native speaker but puzzled the entire class - "stickylicious".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 24, 2009, 12:02
neveu
quote:
A 1910 law bans human burials and interments within city boundaries. Anyone even keeping an urn at home faces a $1,000 fine and six months in jail. The change will allow small columbaria.

There was a movement at the turn of the century that believed that urban graveyards were the source of plague and pestilence. That's when cremation started becoming popular (it had been seen as intolerably pagan), when cemeteries began requiring airtight burial vaults for coffins, and when urban graveyards were dug up and moved outside of town (to Colma, for example).
February 26, 2009, 20:20
wordcrafter
A linguist notes that portmanteaux have proliferated.dancercise – energetic dancing, for aerobic exercise [dance + exercise]
tankini – a women's two-piece swimsuit with a bikini bottom and a tank top [tank + bikini]
frappuchino – iced cappuccino [italian freddo cold + cappuccino]
fantabulous – excellent; wonderful [fantastic + fabulous]
February 27, 2009, 21:21
wordcrafter
Why so many portmanteaux? Our linguist from yesterday comments. OK then, let's take a portmanteau word that did not roll off the modern publicity machine, fully formed.

rollicking – boisterously carefree, joyful, or high-spirited
verb form: rollick – to romp; to frolic
[Origin uncertain, but many speculate that this is a blend of romp + frolic, or similar. Isn't that pretty obvious?]
February 28, 2009, 22:12
wordcrafter
Bollywood – the popular film industry of India
[blend of Bombay (former name of Mumbai, where India's film industry is based) and Hollywood]
March 01, 2009, 07:04
<Proofreader>
Don't forget Dollywood, Dolly Parton's theme park in Pigeon Forge, TN.
March 01, 2009, 20:53
goofy
Tollywood - Andhra Pradesh cinema (Telugu + Hollywood, Telugu being the language)
Kollywood - Tamil Nadu cinema (Kodambakkam + Hollywood, Kodambakkam being an area of Chennai)
Ollywood - Orissa cinema (Oriya + Hollywood)
Mollywood - Kerala cinema (Malayalam + Hollywood) I've seen this one, but it's not as common as the others

and so on

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,
March 01, 2009, 21:20
wordcrafter
One more portmanteau, which I happened to spot in the newspaper today.

recessionista – a person who dresses stylishly on a tight budget
[blend of recession and fasionista]
[Note that word has "fashion" as part of its meaning. That's why I consider it "blend" word, rather than just recession with an -ista ending.]