Wordcraft Community Home Page
Newspapers give less-obscure words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9201009545

June 21, 2008, 09:21
wordcrafter
Newspapers give less-obscure words
“I need words that are less obscure,” says a reader.

We are customer-responsive! So this week we’ll enjoy words taken from the current newspapers, words which, though they may stretch us a bit, wouldn’t sound odd-ball to an ordinary audience.

doughty – brave and resolute, stouthearted
[Some say it’s only used to be archaic or humorous. I disagree.]

We quote an article musing on two classics from the 1890s, Kipling’s Jungle Book and Second Jungle Book.The author illustrates by quoting Kipling:Bonus word:
herpetologist
– a zoologist who deals with reptiles and amphibians
June 22, 2008, 05:40
wordcrafter
pandit – a wise or learned man in India (often used as an honorary title)
[An alternative from has become more familiar to us: pundit. from Sanskrit for “learned, scholar”.]
June 23, 2008, 00:33
wordcrafter
neuron – a nerve cell
synapse – the gap between two neurons, across which impulses are transmitted
[From Greek sun- together + hapsis joining]
June 23, 2008, 04:23
pearce
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
neuron – a nerve cell

Interesting, WC. Though a medical word NEURON has many combined forms, almost all first surfacing after 1800. Originally from the root neuro-, the Greek meant a sinew or tendon, and also may have indicated strength. It is cognate with classical Latin nervus
Neuro- was earliest shown in words such as Neurology— of Greek origin in the 17th century; and in the 18th century and early 19th century in loanwords from post-classical Latin, e.g. Neurosis (1776), Neurotomy, and Neuralgia. Neuralgia appeared c.1830, from neuron + -algia, from algos "pain." The same word was used a little earlier in French— névralgie (1801).
Dozens of combining forms permeate the medical literature: neurocognitive, neuropathy, neurocutaneous, neurofilament, neurodegenerative, neurosis, and so forth.
I am perplexed, as I often am, and wonder what other words were used for these conditions between the Greek and Latin periods and the late 18th century.
June 23, 2008, 18:23
wordcrafter
to kneecap – to hobble or cripple by one’s deliberate action
[Originally, referred to Irish terrorists’ tactic of crippling by shooting or smashing the knee. The dictionaries have only that definition, but I suggest that the figurative usage I give is now far more common.]
June 24, 2008, 01:13
BobHale
Maybe over there but not over here. We are so close to the practice that it would be considered a metaphor in extremely bad taste. People might use it for shock value but I'd be very surprised to find a newspaper in the UK using it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 24, 2008, 06:19
arnie
quote:
I suggest that the figurative usage I give is now far more common

To follow on from Bob's comment, how can you justify such a sweeping statement? As Bob says, it's unlikely to be used in such a way in the UK, which is the country (with Ireland) closest to the practice. I can't ever recall seeing such a use, other than the Canadian source already cited.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 24, 2008, 07:44
Richard English
I've certainly never seen a UK example.

Richard English
June 24, 2008, 11:03
neveu
quote:
Originally, referred to Irish terrorists’ tactic of crippling by shooting or smashing the knee

I thought it was a Mafia practice. I never associated it with the IRA.
June 24, 2008, 11:54
wordcrafter
OED:
Daily Tel. 12 Aug. 2/7 Man ‘kneecapped’ in Carrickfergus.
1975 Observer 8 June 4/3 Ulster's gunmen have found they can get hold of Government cash by giving victims a ‘knee-capping’their grim colloquialism for a bullet in the legs... Kneecapping..has replaced tarring and feathering as the province's most common form of terrorist punishment... ‘This so-called kneecapping is really a misnomer, because the kneecap itself is rarely touched.’
MW: kneecapping Date: 1974: the terroristic act or practice of maiming a person's knees (as by gunshot)

The earliest use I've found is Oct. 7, 1974, in an article titled Irish terror stems from misguided tolerance.
June 24, 2008, 12:07
BobHale
Yes, but none of those are metaphoric use. They all refer to the actual barbaric practice. It's metaphoric use that I have never seen. The example you cited is the first and only time I've seen it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 24, 2008, 12:18
wordcrafter
The above is to the "Irish terrorist source".

As to figurative usage in the UK: It's hard to search for 'kneecap' as a verb, because you get many hits for the noun. I searched 2007 to date for 'kneecapped' and found the following (plus further hits in Australia and New Zealand):
The Economist: The first and biggest task confronting the new government is to rebuild an economy kneecapped by violence and propped up by central-government subsidies.
The Register: BT has sealed a critical security hole in the Home Hub that offered hackers full control of the router, which is in about two million UK homes. The firm's latest update has kneecapped part of the router's firmware called Remote Assistance ...

P.S. to Bob: laughing at simulpost.
June 24, 2008, 19:52
wordcrafter
Manichean – viewing the world as a stark conflict between good and evil, “black vs. white”, with no shades of gray
[Not the standard definition, but I believe it’s the accurate one.]
June 25, 2008, 19:12
wordcrafter
erstwhile – former; at a previous time This is a more common word than I’d thought, so I’ll supplement it with a more obscure one, also from today’s paper. That word is haphephobia. Wink

June 27, 2008, 19:02
wordcrafter
miscreant – behaving badly or unlawfully (noun: one who behaves that way)

[originally meant “a heretic”. Thus mis wrong + creant believed (akin to credence and credit.)]
December 13, 2008, 20:04
Kalleh
Reviving a thread...
I heard the word manichean used today by author Scott Turow, referring to politicians. Indeed, it's an interesting word. I read about the history of Manichaeism (there seems to be alternate spellings of the word) in Wikipedia, and it's surely an old word. When Turow used it, he said it was a "fancy" word, but I'd consider it quite a useful one, too.