Wordcraft Community Home Page
Name that Nym

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9261093775

November 05, 2008, 07:40
wordcrafter
Name that Nym
The root -nym- means "name", as in antonym, synonym, pseudonym, and anonymous: an "opposite name", a "same name", a "false name" (pen name), and "without a name". This week we'll nimbly present some interesting, less-known nym-words.

Beginning with a seriously obscure one. There is an antonym for "antonym" (namely "synonym"), but is there any synonym for "synonym"? Of course!

poecilonym – any of several names for the same thing; a synonym
[from ancient Greek pokilos "many-colored, variegated, various". Akin to such things as Sanskrit for " to cut, trim, prepare, adorn". Thus, while synonym means "same thing", poecilonym means "a varied name (for the same thing)".]

Poecilonym is of course a completely useless word, because no one knows it, and because we already have a perfectly good word, "synonym", to express the meaning. But there's a derivative that would have a use, for I know of no other word that could be used in its place. It is closer to the root sense of "variegated".

poecilonymic – having a variety of names (as do certain gods, for example)
One could eruditely refer to the "poecilonymic characters" of a Russian novel.
November 05, 2008, 10:50
Stanley
Hmm, how is that be pronounced? I think the first word would be pələnɪm, but I'm not sure about the second. My first thought was along the lines of pəsɪlɒnəmɪk, but the "oe" could be instead pronounced "i:" as in onomatopoeia, plus I'm not sure about the stress...

Great word, anyway; I fully intend to try and use it often in conversation!

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.
November 05, 2008, 11:16
zmježd
If I had to say it, I'd go with /pi:'sɪlɪʲoʊnɪm/.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
November 05, 2008, 11:50
arnie
I think I'd play safe and use it only in writing. Even if I were certain of the pronunciation it's the sort of word over which it's all too easy to trip up. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 06, 2008, 10:32
wordcrafter
Retronyms are everywhere, but we're scarcely aware of them, and it's fun to try to spot them.

retronym – (when the meaning of a term has changed due to newer developments) a modified term used to designate older meaning
. . .For example: Before electricity the word guitar meant a certain acoustic instrument. But nowadays guitar can also mean an electric guitar, so if we want to specify the non-electric form only, we call it an acoustic guitar.
. . .Similarly, at one time a movie was a soundless thing. But today when we hear of a movie we assume that it has sound; if not, we call it a silent movie.

November 06, 2008, 20:05
Robert Arvanitis
Examples beyond measure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retronyms

RJA
November 07, 2008, 07:06
wordcrafter
Today's word was proposed in 1884 as an obscure medical term, but it soon fell into oblivion. For over a century it was essentially unused. Then suddenly it was re-created – by Rolling Stone magazine, as far as I can tell – with a new meaning.

mononym – a one-word name by which a person is known (for example, Madonna; Cher; Pele)
[Query whether Shaq, Elvis and Hillary would count. You know who is meant, but you'd also recognize their surnames.
. . .Usually the person is a celebrity or a wannabe. But not always, as in the last quote, concerning the outfit that was the downfall of New York governor Eliot Spitzer.]
November 08, 2008, 09:30
wordcrafter
oronym – a phrase or sentence that can be read in two ways with the same sounds.

At first this looks like just an amusing phenomenon (examples below) with a pedantic name. But on a deeper level, it demonstrates that "all speech is an illusion."
November 08, 2008, 16:13
Stanley
Great Scott, I love that last entry, about oronyms. It's that sort of fascinating intricacy that makes me so keen to do my English Language course next year!

------------------------
November 08, 2008, 22:24
wordcrafter
Thanks for the positive feedback, Stanley. You have me glowing. Smile

metonymy – a figure of speech substituting one word or phrase for another with which it is closely associated
metonym – the word or phrase so used

This letter-to-the-editor appeared in the Wall Street Journal of Sept. 27, 2008:
November 09, 2008, 03:05
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Stanley:
Great Scott, I love that last entry, about oronyms. It's that sort of fascinating intricacy that makes me so keen to do my English Language course next year!

What exactly is the course you are doing? As an ESOL/EFL teacher I'm always fascinated by hearing about courses other people are doing.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
November 09, 2008, 12:12
Stanley
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:What exactly is the course you are doing? As an ESOL/EFL teacher I'm always fascinated by hearing about courses other people are doing.

It's called Applied English Language Studies and I'll be doing it at the University of Reading. I think, though, that they've changed the name to just "English Language", but the content has stayed the same.

In fact, I know, I'll link you to it Big Grin

------------------------
November 09, 2008, 13:10
BobHale
Sounds like a really interesting course. As it progresses keep us informed. I'm sure there will be lots in it that everyone here would just drool over to discuss. (Actually now I've written it that doesn't seem that great an image. Smile )

November 09, 2008, 14:03
tinman
Oronym (Homophone) Poetry

There is a well-known poem called Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer (I Have a Spelling Checker) that written almost entirely with homophones. It could be considered an oronym poem:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown)
November 09, 2008, 15:09
shufitz
tinman, wiccan nutmeg uneven bet terracks ample! Big Grin
(paint over: tinman, we cannot make an even better example!)
November 09, 2008, 21:45
wordcrafter
The locals' proper name of a city, country or the like often differs from the name used by foreigners. Rome, Moscow, Poland, Germany and Hungary are known to their natives as Roma, Moskva, Polska and (bigger differences) Deutschland and Magyarország . Similarly differing are the names for the inhabitants and of their languages. People in Germany, Poland and Hungary do not call themselves "Germans", "Poles" and "Hungarians", and the languages we call French, German and Hebrew are known, in those tongues, as Français, Deutsch and ﬠבּרּיּתּ (Eevreet).

exonym – foreigners' name for a place or for its inhabitants, where different from the local name¹
endonym (much rarer) – the locally-used name
Apparently, when naming inhabitants, the foreigners' name for them is the ethnonym and the locals' name for themselves is the autonym.

Sometimes the exonym, the name outsiders use for a group, is meant to be pejorative, an ethnic slur. But the group being slurred often turns the tables by proudly adopting the exonym as its own name. I hope to return to that concept in a future theme.

¹ Note: The definitions in dictionaries (which are rare) and elsewhere online are not totally consistent on whether the terms apply to differing forms of a place-name, or of an inhabitant-name, or to both.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
November 10, 2008, 03:01
KB
If a Texan meets an Ulsterman in London and each call the other a Yank or a Brit, are they using ethnonyms or pejoratives? Smile
November 10, 2008, 07:42
Stanley
I was just talking to my mum this morning about oronyms and she reminded me of one of her favourites:

I chased a bug around a tree; I'll get his blood, he knows.

To sound like:

I chased a bugger round a tree; I'll get his bloody nose.

------------------------
November 10, 2008, 08:34
<Proofreader>
quote:
his bloody nose.

Just how bad a word is "bloody" in the UK? I heard at one time it was taboo.
November 10, 2008, 09:17
BobHale
Not very bad at all. Most people use it fairly freely.

November 10, 2008, 12:14
arnie
There was a great furore when Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw was first performed in 1913. Eliza has to say the line, "Not bloody likely!"

For a while, a popular phrase "Not Pygmalion likely!" flourished between the wars as a sort of homage.

There was of course a similar fuss later over Rhett Butler saying, "Frankly, my dear, I couldn't give a damn!" in Gone with the Wind.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 10, 2008, 12:33
<Proofreader>
"Are you pregnant?" Tom Swift asked his girlfriend. "Not bloody likely," she said, periodically.

Couldn't resist.
November 10, 2008, 19:26
wordcrafter
patronym; patronymic – a name derived from that of a father or male ancestor (esp. by adding an affix), e.g. the names Johnson, Richardson, Anderson, etc.

Similarly, a name derived from that of a female ancestor is a matronymic.