Wordcraft Community Home Page
Unfamiliar Homonyms of Everyday Words

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9381069125

February 06, 2008, 17:59
wordcrafter
Unfamiliar Homonyms of Everyday Words
This week we’ll present words that sound just like more familiar words.

pawl [pronounced like pall] – a hinged bar whose free end engages the teeth of a ratchet wheel, allowing it to turn in one direction only

For example, a spring-loaded mechanism, held in place by a pawl, will release when the pawl is released. The pawl serves to ‘store’ the energy of the spring. Here’s one application:
February 08, 2008, 06:57
wordcrafter
One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line.

Readers from the marijuana era may recall this 1970 song by Brewer and Shipley. Today’s word, pronounced like toke, can mean either of two types of hats. Complicating matters, a third hat has the same spelling but is (I believe) pronounced tukue.

toque (rhymes with poke) – 1. the chef's hat, tall and white (more fully, toque blanche) 2. a certain small woman's hat, brimless and close-fitting

tuque or toque (Canadian; rhymes with duke) – a knitted cap in the form of a closed bag: one end is tucked into the other to form the cap
February 08, 2008, 11:23
jerry thomas
The marijuana era? When did it end?
February 08, 2008, 12:03
neveu
quote:
Readers from the marijuana era

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only reader from different era. Welcome, fellow Time-Travelers!
February 08, 2008, 12:44
zmježd
marijuana era

Is this a geological or a cultural age? Perhaps we're just in a new phase, e.g., the neo-cannabic era.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
February 08, 2008, 15:39
jerry thomas
The myths ......
DARE smokes a reefer (1953)

The facts ......
Drug Library
February 08, 2008, 15:46
zmježd
DARE

I didn't know the Dictionary of American Regional English inhaled ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
February 08, 2008, 19:55
wordcrafter
wight [pronounced like the color] – a living being; a creature (obsolete)

For the first time, a woman has a serious chance to become President of the United States. So it is perhaps appropriate to quote an early women’s-liberationist, mocking those who deride the new as being “unnatural,” contrary to “Human Nature”. From Similar Cases, by Charlotte Perkins Stetson Gilman [1860-1935].
February 09, 2008, 19:08
wordcrafter
Today’s word, from Old English for "bend, etc.", was first related to a bend in a rope, then to coastline. (It is related to bow.)

bight [pronounced like bite] – 1. a loop in a rope; also, the middle, slack part of an extended rope 2. a bend or curve in a shoreline (or other); also, a wide bay formed by such a bend or curve
February 09, 2008, 21:22
zmježd
Bight is related to German Bucht. My handle on eBay (not used to much, I'm afraid) is Ostbucht, i.e., East Bay (where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
February 10, 2008, 00:54
Richard English
There is an island off the south coast of England, quite near to me, called The Isle of Wight - although I don't think it has any connection with the "living being" meaning. The origin is disputed but most seem to think that the name came via Anglo-Saxon Wiht from Romano-Celtic Vectis. (The Romans called it Vectis - and this name is still used for some island enterprises)

Richard English