Notify
Tools

This sounds fun! Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Part of the review by Publishers Weekly says "Readers intimidated by style manuals and Lynne Truss will enjoy this populist grammar reference." Intimidated by Lynne Truss? How populist can you go? (Or how dumb can you go down?)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read it, but now you've brought it to my attention I'll keep an eye out for it Smile!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Part of the review by Publishers Weekly says "Readers intimidated by style manuals and Lynne Truss will enjoy this populist grammar reference." Intimidated by Lynne Truss? How populist can you go? (Or how dumb can you go down?)

Maybe there should be some commas in the sentence.

Readers intimidated by style manuals, and Lynne Truss, will enjoy this populist grammar reference.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The publisher's comments include mention of "suicidal pandas...". I don't think the publisher read Lynn Truss very closely.

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Maybe a suicidal panderer? Roll Eyes Oops, in Eats, Shoots and Leaves Truss disparages emoticons. Wellllll, tough! One can't see my expression when I write, and I'm not of her calibre when it comes to expressing myself, so the emotican stays.

Asa the Grouch

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post