Wordcraft Community Home Page
Bodily Conditions

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9701056905

December 04, 2007, 18:11
wordcrafter
Bodily Conditions
Last week’s theme tended to degrade into just fancy medical synonyms for body-parts which have a familiar, everyday name. I’ll try to avoid that trap as we spend a week on the workings of the body. Here’s an embarrassing but familiar concept for which we have no familiar word.

borborygm; borborygmus – a rumbling noise in the guts (due to moving gas)
[from Greek for ‘to rumble’]

OED’s quotes are too delicious for me to look further, particularly if, as I presume, the last one is figurative, referring to Carlyle’s writing.
December 05, 2007, 06:15
pearce
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wordcrafter:
borborygm; borborygmus – a rumbling noise in the guts (due to moving gas) [from Greek for ‘to rumble’][QUOTE}

My grandchildren are at that amusing age when the audible rumblings of the bowels peristalsis arouse great mirth. Nowadays the accompanying embarrassment of parents seems to me outdated, so I recently offered them this:

Mariella, a Tooth fairy smart,
One day whilst enjoying a tart,
Said ‘No, I can’t grumble’,
When her tummy did rumble
So she ran to the Loo* with a bang.

* In the UK Loo is the ever so nice word for the euphemistic lavatory/toilet/John; it may also be in the US. I'm not sure.
December 05, 2007, 19:29
wordcrafter
eructation – a belch (by a person, or by a volcano)

Not a pretty word, but we have two pretty quotes, one literal and one figurative.
December 06, 2007, 10:32
Hic et ubique
quote: "My grandchildren are at that amusing age when the audible rumblings of the bowels peristalsis arouse great mirth."
And we of course understand that you offer your limerick, not because you think this mature audience would be amused by such things, but purely in a spirit of grandfatherly pride. Wink

In the same spirit, I offer this little air (non-original):

(PS: I wonder if there's a word, akin to 'paternal', which means 'grandfatherly'.)
December 06, 2007, 10:44
zmježd
I wonder if there's a word, akin to 'paternal', which means 'grandfatherly'.

Well, grandfather is avus (-i) in Latin, and there's an adjectival form avitus (-a, -um) 'belonging to a granfather; traditonal, old'. (A derivation of avus is avunculus 'mother's brother; uncle' (as opposed to patruus (-i) 'father's brother'). English avitous exists, but it means 'very old'. Some inkhorn dictionaries list aval for 'grandparently'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 06, 2007, 11:25
arnie
Interesting that we use avuncular to mean "like an uncle", and not a word based on patruus.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 06, 2007, 11:33
zmježd
not a word based on patruus

And, I would like to know where are the language doomsayers when they should be agitating? People, who ordain that decimate must be used in its strict etymological sense, i.e., 'killing every tenth man picked at random from a group', should be rioting in the streets about the incorrect use of avuncular to refer to both parents brothers. So, the next time somebody uses avuncular about their paternal uncle, ahem and say: "Oughtn't one rather to use patrual?"

[Corrected typo and added adjective.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 06, 2007, 11:41
Richard English
quote:
'killing every third man picked at random from a group'

Surely it was every tenth man...?

Richard English
December 06, 2007, 11:43
zmježd
every tenth man

Yes, I've corrected the error.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 06, 2007, 15:38
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
'killing every third man picked at random from a group'

That would be the popular word tresimate.
December 06, 2007, 16:08
wordcrafter
How amazing apt to be speaking of tresimate! See the first quote of the next word-of-the-day.
December 06, 2007, 16:09
wordcrafter
suppurate – to form or discharge pus
Suitable for figurative use as an insult, as in the second quote.Bonus word:
bubo
(adj. bubonic) – a swollen inflamed lymph node in the armpit or groin
December 06, 2007, 16:11
tsuwm
then, of course, there's vigesimation, for those not so bloody-minded.
December 07, 2007, 12:34
wordcrafter
bruxism – habitual, involuntary gritting or grinding the teeth, esp. when in stress or during sleep, as from anger, tension, fear, or frustration

I smiled at the titles of the two works that provide our quotes.
December 07, 2007, 20:44
Kalleh
Wordcrafter, just so you know I read your words of the day, I thought I'd remembered your mentioning suppuration before.
December 08, 2007, 07:39
wordcrafter
somnolent – sleepy; drowsy

We all know the feeling of oversleeping, which this quote describes so well!also: somnolent – inducing drowsiness
December 08, 2007, 22:02
wordcrafter
After all these fanncy latinate words, it’s nice to have a pair from plain Old English.

blain – a blister; an inflammatory skin swelling or sore
chilblain – painful, itching swelling, on hand or foot, caused by poor skin circulation when exposed to cold

A bit of inspired nonsense from Edward Lear:See here for the rest of this delightful poem.
December 09, 2007, 18:26
wordcrafter
cicatrice; cicatrix – a scar